Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AR-Comp powder

5 posters

Go down

AR-Comp powder Empty AR-Comp powder

Post by hawcer Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Anyone tried it? I picked up a pound today. There wasn't much selection on the shelf and it was priced cheaper than everything else. Says it's made in Sweden for Alliant powders.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

AR-Comp powder Empty Re: AR-Comp powder

Post by hawcer Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 am

nobody huh? scratch

guess I get to experiment and start from scratch.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:34 am

Nothing here, havn't tried it yet.
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:20 am

It seems to be up there with Varget...better for heavier projectiles maybe? Even though I have had good luck with Varget in my 52gr AMAX loads.

I guess I'll use up what I have left of the H335 and H4895 on the 55gr FMJ I need to load up and save the AR-COMP for the 69's,75's and 77's.

-OR-

Use the H335 and H4895 on the 40 & 45gr pills I have yet to use, the AR-COMP on the 55gr FMJ's to test it out and Continue to use Varget for the rest as usual.

Since the 55's are guaranteed to be fired from an AR only....everything else I use in my bolt guns and the AR's... that might end up better.

I was just curious if anyone had done any loads with it yet.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:28 am

I broke open the container of AR-COMP after using up the rest of the H335 I had.

For those that want to know:

AR-COMP will use up all case volume easy, regardless of load. 25gr will be up in the neck and much more than that won't fit.

Alliant doesn't list compressed loads, but I know some of them have to be. I started almost a grain lower than what they listed on my 55gr fmj loads...and there is no wiggle room for powder in those.

So, AR-COMP could be a great powder for those looking to use as much case volume as possible.

And is the worst powder to use for those using a progressive press....there is no way to keep from making a mess...the powder is gonna spill.

If you have ever used Varget...this stuff fills more case than Varget does.

I measured and re-measured on multiple scales just to be sure...but that's how it is.

I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, so I can't comment on the performance of it yet.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Will be waiting for your input on this subject. Very Happy
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:26 pm

hawcer wrote:If you have ever used Varget...this stuff fills more case than Varget does.
Yep. The VMD of AR-comp is higher than the VMD of Varget so AR-Comp is fluffier.

See this chart:
http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD.pdf

The bigger the VMD the fluffier it is. See Trail Boss at .21716, that's fluffy. And Accurate Arms #5 at .06230, that's not fluffy.

AR-comp is .07527
Varget is .07310
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:40 pm

I just did up 70 rounds for my buddy's new AR. It has been several years since I last used Varget and I thought I was doing something wrong at first because I was into the case neck on loads 2gr under max. I was only able to make 3 batches with the Varget before I was spilling out the mouth.

I switched to TAC for the next 5 batches and still had plenty of space. TAC has been my go to powder for AR's for years now, I just didn't want to give him my good stuff. Rolling Eyes
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:29 am

hawcer wrote:
Anyone tried it? I picked up a pound today. There wasn't much selection on the shelf and it was priced cheaper than everything else. Says it's made in Sweden for Alliant powders.
H 4198 IMR 4198 is a good powder if you can find some Gamaliel has some in stock. Sweden is a good maker of gun powder.

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:16 pm

hawcer wrote:I broke open the container of AR-COMP after using up the rest of the H335 I had.

For those that want to know:

AR-COMP will use up all case volume easy, regardless of load. 25gr will be up in the neck and much more than that won't fit.

Alliant doesn't list compressed loads, but I know some of them have to be. I started almost a grain lower than what they listed on my 55gr fmj loads...and there is no wiggle room for powder in those.

So, AR-COMP could be a great powder for those looking to use as much case volume as possible.

And is the worst powder to use for those using a progressive press....there is no way to keep from making a mess...the powder is gonna spill.

If you have ever used Varget...this stuff fills more case than Varget does.

I measured and re-measured on multiple scales just to be sure...but that's how it is.

I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, so I can't comment on the performance of it yet.

Have you used a drop tube? That will make a different.

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down