Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7.62x54r tracer projectiles

2 posters

Go down

7.62x54r tracer projectiles Empty 7.62x54r tracer projectiles

Post by MarksmanTim Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first real post. I've been reloading for about 2 years, but only recently started to load in this caliber, 7.62x54r. I am loading for my 9 Mosin Nagants, of varying type and manufacture. (carbine, rifle, Finn, Russian)

I recently acquired 300 green tip tracers. I weighed a few of them and they seem to be 150gr, even though I thought they were designated as 148gr. I guess it doesn't matter that much. I am looking for suggestions for good loads for these rounds. I would like to see them light off, but most of them will be used for punching paper during sunny days so it's not critical.

In this crazy world of mass shortages, right now I am limited to the following powders on hand: IMR4064, H335, H380.

I loaded 5 rounds this afternoon with 46gr of H380, and they went down range fine, lighter recoil, didn't light off (I don't think) BUT I think the primers backed out ever so slightly.

2 questions:

What is a good load to make these light off?

What is a good plinking load with these projectiles?

Thanks for your help!

MarksmanTim

Back to top Go down

7.62x54r tracer projectiles Empty Re: 7.62x54r tracer projectiles

Post by Reload3006 Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:22 am

IF you can find it you need a hotter burning powder such as WC844T the problem with tracer is you have to burn hot enough to set off the magnesium but not raise pressures to dangerous levels. The best way to do that would be with mil surp powder. The T designation will be for tracer. I would guess and its only a guess that you could pretty much use 308 load data and stay in safe pressure areas for you nagant.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by MarksmanTim Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:17 am

Reload3006 wrote:IF you can find it you need a hotter burning powder such as WC844T the problem with tracer is you have to burn hot enough to set off the magnesium but not raise pressures to dangerous levels. The best way to do that would be with mil surp powder. The T designation will be for tracer. I would guess and its only a guess that you could pretty much use 308 load data and stay in safe pressure areas for you nagant.

Ok thanks. I think it will be hard to find right now, but at least now I know what to look for. Since posting this, I have learned that stick powders typically work well for tracer rounds. I think I will try loading 5-10 with IMR4064 as that is the only stick powder I have.

MarksmanTim

Back to top Go down

Post by MarksmanTim Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Reload3006 wrote:IF you can find it you need a hotter burning powder such as WC844T the problem with tracer is you have to burn hot enough to set off the magnesium but not raise pressures to dangerous levels. The best way to do that would be with mil surp powder. The T designation will be for tracer. I would guess and its only a guess that you could pretty much use 308 load data and stay in safe pressure areas for you nagant.

What about using WC 857? I am not too familiar with military powders, but this one is listed as being used in certain tracer rounds as well.

MarksmanTim

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:50 am

I would imagine its a bit slow for the nagant. if you could get a pound cheap enough it could be worth a try. I would imagine that it would be very dirty because it couldn't completely burn. I don't think it would be dangerous. Still you would need the WC857T also if you try it make sure after the first shot that your bullet left your bore. It would work good in the 300WM 7mmMag etc.
I would chill things are going to turn around sooner or later. Hold out for WC844T=H335 WC467T= BLC-2 or Win 748 after things return to normal there are going to be a lot of people hurting for money with a lot of powder they will be wanting to sell.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down