Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Developing your loads

+6
dartfreak75
Mohunter
Reload3006
XbonesX
algunjunkie
Daywalker
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Developing your loads Empty Developing your loads

Post by Daywalker Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:35 am

Lets get an idea how each of you go about developing a load for your rifles. What yards do you do all your developing from. How many rounds of each loads do you load up for development. How many grains of powder to increase at a time from beginning to max.

I would like to hear from beginning to end. Do you load so many for testing. Find that one load then tweak it to try to make it better? Do you play with the overall seating of the bullet. Do you have a different style of developing a load for your semi-auto than you do for your bolt action and lever action.

I am starting out in load developing for a few of my rifles. I had tested out some in my Remington Model 700 .270 with some poor results. Could be the bullets, could be the powder. I have not tried a different powder with these particular bullets yet. The bullets or Remington and appears to be core loks. I will aslo be developing a load for my grendel as well and would like to hear the different ways everyone here gets to their favorite loads....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Developing your loads Empty Re: Developing your loads

Post by algunjunkie Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:13 am

OK but remember you asked for it.

First I start out by reading everything that I can find on the caliber and type of shooting that I want to do (hunting, target, plinking ETC...) This way I find out what others are doing and don't reinvent the wheel.

Then when I make up my mind it is off to the computer to play with Quickload and make some theoretical loads to see what they will be doing using the componets that I have on hand at the house.

Then I load and using the OCW testing method put out by Dan Newberry. Once I have the accuracy node I start playing with the overall length.

I will generally fire 2 5 shot groups of each load during testing, just make sure that I didn't skew the results any. If they are similar then I'm good with the results. If not, I repeat.

Yes I take a lot of time in my load development and burn through alot of components but in the end I wind up with a load that I like and more importantly, my gun likes.

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:15 am

Some of the best loads takes time. I need to take a step back and slow down myself. Going to go and study this OCW method a bit. Smile
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:28 pm

I have loaded up a bunch of rounds to try the OCW method, but haven't shot 'em yet.

I was having trouble developing a load for my AR once and thanks to JPrice and his Quickload we had it dialed in on the first test batch.

Other then that my normal method for rifle is to start about mid-charge and work my way up in .5gr increments (depending on how far it is until max) in 5 shot groups, chronographing and checking for pressure signs along the way. If I start getting things like sticky bolt, flattened primers, or the chronograph shows something I wont shoot the upper charges. I load the bullets .010" off the lands & grooves.

I then reload the best 2 groups and .2gr in both directions for another 6 batches. Generally by this point I've found a great load.

Sometimes on my 3rd trip I adjust the bullet seating depth to see if I can get any better results. Typically I don't see a difference in my factory rifles.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:34 pm

algunjunkie wrote:OK but remember you asked for it.

First I start out by reading everything that I can find on the caliber and type of shooting that I want to do (hunting, target, plinking ETC...) This way I find out what others are doing and don't reinvent the wheel.

Then when I make up my mind it is off to the computer to play with Quickload and make some theoretical loads to see what they will be doing using the componets that I have on hand at the house.

Then I load and using the OCW testing method put out by Dan Newberry. Once I have the accuracy node I start playing with the overall length.

I will generally fire 2 5 shot groups of each load during testing, just make sure that I didn't skew the results any. If they are similar then I'm good with the results. If not, I repeat.

Yes I take a lot of time in my load development and burn through alot of components but in the end I wind up with a load that I like and more importantly, my gun likes.
Shocked I have never heard of quickload tell me more please confused
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:02 pm

QuickLoad is a program offered through NECO, http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm .

It allows you to literally build the round that you want to shoot. It will tell you things about the pressure, round efficiency, powder burn time and much much much more.

I try a load out on paper and make sure that it is safe before I actually build it for real. It has data bases for bullets, guns, powder and so forth, plus it comes with QuickTarget which acts as a ballistic software and predicts bullet drop. It pulls the information directly from QuickLoad so you don't have to enter the parameters again.

It will make predictions using the inputs that you decide and help you work up loads faster. Generally the predictions that it makes I can confirm, speeds that is, to within 100 fps. The more accurate the information you put in, the more accurate the information it gives you.

The down side is------it was $150

algunjunkie

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:32 pm

thanks i know because ive seen your videos that you swage your own too. does it have provisions for the bullets that you swage yourself?
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:19 pm

I don't enjoy it, but I seem to use the OCD method (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). I keep repeating the same mistakes over and over and over again with the same failed results until I'm ready to crack! Shocked bounce
Just kiddin' Razz

I study my manuals first and go over the different loads listed for the bullet I want to load for. Then determine which powders the bullet manufacturer has already tried for the powders I have on hand. Normally there is at least one good load for the bullet wt. with the powder I already have on hand. That saves me a great deal of time because the manufacturer has already done some testing and gives me a good starting point.
If no such load is listed in the manual, then I go to Hodgdon's website for data, or if it's an Alliant powder I go to their website for data.
Normally, something will be listed either in the bullet manufacturer's manual or on the powder manufacturer's website for what I'm trying to work up a load for. If all else fails and there is no data, then I will pick a bullet of the same wt. and style and back the max charge off by 10% and work up from there. All while watching for signs of over pressure, flattened primers mainly, or heavy/sticky bolt lift are sure signs of over pressure.

I normally work up in 1gr. increments until I hit the sweet spot. I don't bother with .5gr. increments unless it's absolutely necessary. I think it's a waste of powder and precious bullets to make 30 loads using .5gr. increments, when I could cut that in half and waste 15 rounds to achieve the same goal.

Believe it or not..........I have found some of my best loads right on the back of the jug of powder. Thanks to Hodgdon for making this info readily available without even having to go to their website. That's another good reason that I stick with Hodgdon powders and have never been extremely disappointed.
I honestly think this feature helps Hodgdon sell more powder, because if a guy is wondering which powders will work for his caliber of rifle, he needs to do nothing more than spin the jug around and look on the back. If it's been tested with that caliber with any degree of success, chances are it's listed right there. The choice can be made right there in the store without ever even cracking open a manual.

Here's a couple of links that I mentioned above.
Hodgdon >>-----> http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Alliant >>------> http://www.alliantpowder.com/
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:10 pm

what i do is very simular to mo's methad i already have the bullet i want to load in mind so il go threw my books untill i find a powder i have say for intence i want to load a 150 grain bullet soft point bullet the powders on hand are 3031 varget 4064 and rl 19! il look threw all may data till i find a match in powder and bullet! say i find a match there is a load for varget and 3031 then il compare the two or three powders for velocity charge weight case density pressures so on! if i can get say (for example) 2800 fps out of varget with a 90% case capasity and 43000 cup at 36 grains but the 3031 is 39 grains at 2900 fps with a 93% at 49000 cup il go with the varget load because to me the 100 fps defrence is not enough to make up with the extra powder im burning at a higher presure i like to save as much money as possible if i can save 3 grains per load thats a whole load after a 100 cases! ok after i find the powder i start at min load and load 5 shots and i go up in one grain increment (sometimes 1/2) depending on the min max defernce until i reach the half way point then i shoot them and keep the best load i never exceed the half way point call me too safe lol!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:40 pm

I do what Mo and Dart does really. But unlike dart i want a charge that is going to come as close as possible to filling my case for safety reasons
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:47 pm

That's the right philosophy, and the smart way to go about it.

Has anybody else noticed a trend between the greater load density loads also being the most accurate as well as better velocities?
I sometimes find that my most accurate loads, as well as the fastest, are also the higher density loads that utilize the most internal case capacity.

Perfect example is the 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip load for my 22-250
The case is nearly full, just below the neck, and it's the fastest load I have at around 4,300fps.....and it's also the most accurate load I have to date.
Honest one hole accurate at 50 yards, tiny little clover leafs at 100 yards. It just don't get any better than that, at least not for me anyway.
I'd call that as close to perfect as my shooting will ever be, especially since crossing over the 40 year mark. Rolling Eyes
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:50 pm

I totally agree the most accurate loads i have are with full cases in fact i have a 30-30 load with 150gr bullets using IMR load data imr 4350 compressed load is the most accurate 30-30 load i have ever shot.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:55 pm

I know for my 6.5 Grendel, 120 grain Nosler BT with Tac, the start load is 27.5 and the max load is 28.8. There really isn't that much. Yet so far, the best group I have gotten is with 28.0 grains. I now need to back it off about 3 grains and work up to 3 grains over 28.0. In other words, my next load test is going to be 27.7 grains, 27.8, 27.9, 28.0, 28.1, 28.2 and 28.3. I already know that 28.5 opened back up so I will stop at 28.3 and see what happens.

With these loads, the tac is just under the shoulder of the case...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:09 pm

yes i agree completely with the more case is filled the better the accuracy! but in some cases you can take a powder such as varget and have more in the case with less grains in weigh becouse of the cylinder size of the granlets are larger than say a 3031 which has a faster burn rate remember these are just examples i try to fill the case up as much as possible with the lest amount of powder and the lest amount of pressure! i guess is what im trying to say i hope that makes since!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:12 pm

the most accurate load i ever loaded was a compressed load with rl 22 in my 3006 it only had one load no min or max just one number i think it was 50 grains and it was compressed i was kinda scared of it so i only loaded 3 at 100 yards i cut one hole with three shots!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:22 pm

I've seen some compressed loads here and there, but I won't use them. I don't care for that practice, and not that it's unsafe or anything. It's just a personal preferrence of mine to stay away from them. Even if the load recipe calls for a compressed charge, I will only fill to the bottom of the case neck and no higher.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 pm

yea i agree that was the only one i ever done i havent done it since im over safe i never load anything over half! heres why iv got some data for my 35 and just for instance hodagens books says 36 g min--39g max well another book has the same bullet same powder same everthing starting load 39min---41max thats a big differnce!!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:06 am

I honestly try to stay away from them too but hey I am going to keep using that 30-30 load its just too good not to. But it dosent over flow the case it just completely fills it up and then the bullet presses the powder down when you seat your bullet. pirat i dont nor do i recommend ever tamping down powder in a load to "get more in there".
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:27 am

When you start getting around 25 grains of Varget in a 223 it starts to become compressed...at least with 69gr Noslers. Mine shoot the best at 25gr...I hear a little "crunch" when seating the bullet...I've tried less, but it isn't as accurate. I have no pressure signs, so I'm sticking with it.

26gr is the max load listed and it is stated as a compressed load.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:22 pm

hawcer wrote:When you start getting around 25 grains of Varget in a 223 it starts to become compressed...at least with 69gr Noslers. Mine shoot the best at 25gr...I hear a little "crunch" when seating the bullet...I've tried less, but it isn't as accurate. I have no pressure signs, so I'm sticking with it.

That is what scares the living crap out of me. I am using Tac for my .223's as when I tried Varget, even the starting load looked to me to be at the base of the shoulder. I was like on no, not me. My comfort zone has not been built to that level of confidence yet.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:43 pm

why i like a full case is you know you havent dropped a double charge in there and blow your gun up. which is easy to do with some powders and some loads. and i think it helps with the consistency of ignition.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:02 pm

for those warez peeps, its on the torrent sites. but you can prolly kiss support for it goodbye if you do so. but its a good way to try before you buy. they do have a free version.. but man i hate free trials..

though, i have to say the app is extreemly detailed, a little more for my taste.
almost intemidating.. lol.. so if you can use quickload and understand it, man, your smarter than i am..

Smile
dan
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:33 pm

Reload3006 wrote:thanks i know because ive seen your videos that you swage your own too. does it have provisions for the bullets that you swage yourself?

There is a way that you can add your bullets to the list so that they can be used when you want. Not hard, just fill in the blanks.

algunjunkie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Daywalker wrote:
hawcer wrote:When you start getting around 25 grains of Varget in a 223 it starts to become compressed...at least with 69gr Noslers. Mine shoot the best at 25gr...I hear a little "crunch" when seating the bullet...I've tried less, but it isn't as accurate. I have no pressure signs, so I'm sticking with it.

That is what scares the living crap out of me. I am using Tac for my .223's as when I tried Varget, even the starting load looked to me to be at the base of the shoulder. I was like on no, not me. My comfort zone has not been built to that level of confidence yet.
I read an article about a guy who took his 22-250 brass, dunked it into a bowl of powder (don't remember which kind?) scraped off the excess above the case mouth with a business card, and crammed a bullet on top of it.....that was his favorite load and shot cloverleafs.
Unbelievable how forgiving some calibers are and the 22-250 is one of those.
Mine actually seems to thrive on speed.....the slower loads are not as accurate as the faster loads.

That's a good thing to because the Nosler BT's in the 40gr. variety love to go fast. They actually shoot better the faster I push them.
BTW- I'm actually loading some now with 39.5 gr. of Varget........who knew that little case would hold that much? Shocked
They scream along at the tune of 4,300fps.......Weeeooooow! affraid Yehaw rifleman
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by infantryjohn49 Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Plus another for Mo,s methods. I also use,www.sierrabullets.com
with this I can type in the bullet, for excample .223 dia 45gr.Hornet and then press go.and it will give me the ballistic coefficients. And of course,
I depend on advice from my friends.Trial and error the end justifyies the means.Amen....
infantryjohn49
infantryjohn49

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next