Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spanish Mauser ??

5 posters

Go down

Spanish Mauser ?? Empty Spanish Mauser ??

Post by eagle60 Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:00 am

Ok guys and gals, I made purchase of this rifle recently and would like to see if you agree with what I think it is or can straighten me out Smile A friend was needing some money and I was in a position at the time to help, so I purchased this gun for less than $100. From online research I believe it to be a model 93 7mm (7x57) Spanish Mauser. This is what I am going by;

Receiver is stamped " Fabrica (can't make out the next word) OVIEDO 1907)
Left side of the barrell is stamped with 7MM
Magazine is built in and flush with the botom of the wood
It does not have the 2nd lug on the bolt.

It didn't come with any ammo and I didn't want to put current ammo in an old rifle not knowing anything about it wo I purchased a 7x57 die set from another friend that had one and gave me a price better than I could have ordered one for. I ran 10 pieces of 270 brass through the dies, trimmed, loaded to a powder puff load according to an old Lyman manual and then--- yep, you guessed it, tied it down to the bench, hid behind a tree with a long string and ran 10 shots through it What a Face . There's something about wearing a bolt in the eye socket that does not enthuse me !! Thankfully nothing apart and I got enough confidence to sholder it and fire it. Not too bad on recoil, I'd say in the 270 range. Wasn't worried about putting any lead on paper - just wanted to see if it was safe to shoot. I will post some pics as soon as I can get the host deal to work. For some reason it said that the page could not be displayed?!?!

eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Spanish Mauser ?? Empty Re: Spanish Mauser ??

Post by Daywalker Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:03 am

which host are you using? Are you trying to host straight from the forum or through an outside source?
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:29 am

I think it was timing out 'cause I hadn't downsized my pics - Embarassed

Spanish Mauser ?? Rifle_10

Spanish Mauser ?? Receiv10

Spanish Mauser ?? Side_c10

Spanish Mauser ?? Bolt10

Spanish Mauser ?? Bolt_f10

eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:48 am

I believe I read that Oviedo was a manufacturer or plant that built spanish mausers it may have possably been in Germany. If you are ever looking to build a custom rifle the action would be an excelent candidate as there is not much popularity of the 7X57 caliber. Alot of the 7X57's were converted to 8mm mauser (8X57) way back when. In any case just about any mauser action is worth $100.00 I think you did the right thing to help out. If its in real nice condition I would probably keep it origional.
Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:34 am

It's it pretty good shape for it's age and as far as I can tell it hasn't been modified. I don't think I will get into building a custom gun out of it. I have heard that the 7x57 is like the grand-daddy of the '06,270 rounds and rates pretty high in performance.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:42 am

I do not know much about this rifle, I can say it does look good.......
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by badjeep02 Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:39 pm

Seems like a good deal to me. It’s hard to go wrong with a Mauser. It’s funny but I just picked up some used RCBS dies last weekend for that cartridge.
badjeep02
badjeep02

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:51 pm

badjeep02, Cool! A man can never have enough toys (er um )Tools. From what I've seen so far though, the brass is fairly pricey - when it is available. Wonder how reliable it will be to convert the 270 brass to 7x57? If I keep an eye on it for pressure signs and keep the loads fairly light it should work - ??

Thanks DW. That's me, don't know too much about them but as long as I can be satified that it is safe to shoot I will definately take her for a test run
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 pm

i found 500pc brass for 200bucks and 50 for 20bucks on gunbroker, If i remember correctly, and i could be wrong, the case head diameter is different from the -06 family and thus different from the 270 brass... without Akley's books in front of me to look it up (I'm on a ship) I can't be sure... but for 20bucks why not have the correctly headstamped brass?

I've got a 7mm in the safe somewhere too, I need to dig her out.

Aaaaand yeah, you could consider the 7x57 Mauser cartridge as a sort of grandfather to the 30-06 if only in spirit, but spirit is enough if you ask me. the 7mm mauser was out classing the 303brit(the version of 303 available at the time the 7mm was new) in a rather disgusting way... the idea of small dia projectile was not only Brand new, but plagued by the vast majority of relatively inadequate powders required for the full potential of the small dia cartridges' cases... not to mention many nations were still on the round nosed heavy waggon vs the sleek flat-shooting spitzer... to me, if you could put the early 7.62's, 7mm's and 6.5's of that era in a group... the 7mm would be A (not THE) grandfather... at the very least, the crazy-successful uncle that noone listens to anymore cause he was eventually superseded... regardless of the cool fedora indicating a sparse sense of class and self dignity

... I need off this boat... the 18th can't come soon enough

Great pictures, she's a beaut! you've got me all excited about the 7mm again LOL
and FWIW, P.O. Ackley seemed to hold the cartridge above where the other gun nuts of his era held it... at least that's the feeling I get when reading his opinion on the cartridge.
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks for the info CMASailor. I'll have to check out GB to see what brass is available for it. Seems like in the research I've done that there is a 7x57 and then a 7x57R which is a rimmed case. I need to spend some time with it to learn all the ins and outs and how well (or not) it will perform. Heck, I may even name it Paw-Paw or Uncle Joe Smile
I can only imagine being on a boat for any amount of time. Got my gut rolling just thinking about it LOL. Thanks again and maybe the 18th will be here quick for ya.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down