Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!!

+7
XbonesX
eagle60
infantryjohn49
Daywalker
kcatto
dartfreak75
Mohunter
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!! Empty Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!!

Post by Mohunter Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:17 pm

Ok boys, the weather finally got right and the ice thawed just enough to get a minnow in the water so Dad and I went fishing today and brought home a limit between the both of us.
Of course I out fished the old man with my 4 (the biggest) to his 2 (the smallest) but he expects that and I think he's used to me always trying to show him up. Very Happy
We had a really good day for January 17th and these 6 are just the keepers. We probably threw back about 8 more that were too small under the 12" minimum length limit.
I've also got some video footage that I'll post here when I get it processed and uploaded to youtube. I don't have any pictures of dad cause he took the pictures of me and the fish when we got back, but he is in the video catching a couple of fish.
We had a pretty good time and it was cold but fairly tolerable today. I think anytime you can catch a mess of bass in January you should be thankful cause that doesn't happen too often.
Unless your me of course! Razz
Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!! January17thBass004

Here's a glimpse of the spot we were fishing and basically what you see is all the open water we had when we started fishing. Just a hole about the size of a truck, the rest was all frozen. The little water fall was the only thing keeping the water from freezing around where the water was falling into the hole.
Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!! January17thBass
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!! Empty Re: Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!!

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:20 pm

nice job mo i cant wait to start fishing again my little boys first year was last year and he loved it so he is now my full time fishing partner he is accutally pretty good to be 4 lol he caught more than me in 4 consecutive trips but that was casue i was tying line and worming hooks well thats my story and im sticking to it lol
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!! Empty Re: Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!!

Post by kcatto Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:22 pm

awesome mo..... a fine catch for anytime of the year....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Oh you make me so dang jealous.... I am already getting the fishing jitters this year... You better believe I will be hitting some banks this year if I don't get my boat I am eyeballing next month!!!

Hmmmm Mo, did you crack a smile on pic yet again?? Maybe a slight one???
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 pm

lol yea DW i think i see it too lol
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks guys.
I think it was more of a self righteous, egotistical sneer than a smile? Suspect
No, I'm not really like that at all. I was actually cold from just coming into the garage and being out in the cold weather all day and I was probably getting irritable at my dad. He is technologically challenged and the digital camera is always a learning experience for him.
I'm probably thinking to myself, "Just take the damn picture so I can get these fish cleaned already" Wink

I do enjoy our time together don't get me wrong. He's been asking about going fishing one day for the past 2 weeks. So I trapped some minnows for us to go then the weather got cold and everything froze up. I've been keeping the minnows in my garage for almost 2 weeks now with an aquarium aireator on them, and finally today the weather cooperated a bit so we got to go fishing.
I could tell he was really enjoying it and only complained about being cold after we headed back to the truck. All in all we probably spent close to 4hrs. out there which is a real long time for him to stay out in the cold. He just can't handle the cold as well as he used to.
Good quality time spent together and we got a nice mess of bass to fry up now. Yummmmmy!! Razz
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by infantryjohn49 Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Man,,, Those are some nice fish, Thanks for sharing. I hope to actually get my boat on the water this year. Gotta replace the impellar
and fuel filter, cmon tax return, I need you. LOL Congrats Mo. Looking
forward to the videos.
infantryjohn49
infantryjohn49

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Those are some nice ones! Reckon Pathfinder would loan you his aluminum melting furnace to cook up some fries to go with 'em ?????
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 pm

congrats, glad to see someone is having some luck.

fletch_medic & I have hit up the ice twice now and have caught 73 crappies and perch, but only 4 perch and 1 crappie worth keeping scratch

Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!! 0115010849
Winter Time Bassin' Update with Fish Pics!! 0115010851

Last edited by XbonesX on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:01 am

Those are some nice looking fish.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:24 am

I can see what your problem is Taylor........too much room for them to roam. You need a spot to narrow them down, like a river. Very Happy

Geez.......that looks might cold in those pics....Brrrrrrr! pale

I'm probably gonna fry em up tommorrow for lunch? With fried potatoes and baked beans........Mmmmmmmm.....Yummy! Redneck
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 am

You should get some green tomato relish to put on your fried fish. Sooo good.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:45 am

what time is lunch again mo?????
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:24 am

Anytime you all get here, cause I usually got a bag or two in the freezer and I'm ready to fry fish anytime! Wink
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Mohunter wrote:Anytime you all get here, cause I usually got a bag or two in the freezer and I'm ready to fry fish anytime! Wink

answered like a true southerner....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 pm

kcatto wrote:
Mohunter wrote:Anytime you all get here, cause I usually got a bag or two in the freezer and I'm ready to fry fish anytime! Wink

answered like a true southerner....
Well you know how us country folks are.........my door is always open and you all are always welcomed! Just come on in, sit down and I'll fix ya a plate! Wink
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:39 pm

yup sounds like us around here.... fix a plate.... wait let me put the coffee pot on.... as my grandma used to say "sit a spell"

man I miss the simple times....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:30 pm

Mohunter wrote:I can see what your problem is Taylor........too much room for them to roam. You need a spot to narrow them down, like a river. Very Happy

Geez.......that looks might cold in those pics....Brrrrrrr! pale

I'm probably gonna fry em up tommorrow for lunch? With fried potatoes and baked beans........Mmmmmmmm.....Yummy! Redneck

I can bring the biscuits. :barri:
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 pm

Yep, simple times way back when the world was a better place. You could leave your doors unlocked at night and the windows open. Everybody was your neighbor and waved at each other when you passed on the road into town. I can remember taking my first deer rifle that I ever bought with my own money to school with me and showing it to my high school principle, right after he bummed a smoke from me. My gosh how things have changed.
I think the world would be a better place if we would all just slow down and have dinner together. Then stop trying to change or save the world and just let everybody else be.
Mind our own business and quit pushing other people around. Start spanking our kids for smart mouthing and hold the bad guys accountable for their actions instead of life in prison.
Eye for an eye and love thy neighbor........that's how it should be.

Sds- You know we gotta drop them biscuits in the hot grease don't ya?
Around here we call em' Jelly Boats. Very Happy
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:55 am

Mohunter wrote:Yep, simple times way back when the world was a better place. You could leave your doors unlocked at night and the windows open. Everybody was your neighbor and waved at each other when you passed on the road into town. I can remember taking my first deer rifle that I ever bought with my own money to school with me and showing it to my high school principle, right after he bummed a smoke from me. My gosh how things have changed.
I think the world would be a better place if we would all just slow down and have dinner together. Then stop trying to change or save the world and just let everybody else be.
Mind our own business and quit pushing other people around. Start spanking our kids for smart mouthing and hold the bad guys accountable for their actions instead of life in prison.
Eye for an eye and love thy neighbor........that's how it should be.

All I can say is AMEN brother.....

Sds wrote:- You know we gotta drop them biscuits in the hot grease don't ya?
Around here we call em' Jelly Boats. Very Happy

We call those floaters here
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:38 pm

I think my uncle is the one who may have started that?
When we fry suckers out in the garage he normally does the deep frying and before he drops the biscuit in the grease he molds a little trough in the center to hold the jelly after it's cooked. When they puff up it looks like a little boat floating around in the hot grease.

That's how the Jelly Boat was born. Razz

Also, I decided to hold off on frying fish till tonight cause today is my dad's birthday and I'm going to cook his favorite meal as his birthday dinner.
Fish, taters, bake beans, and maybe cole slaw. tongue birthday
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:47 pm

My hat goes off to those like you Mo....fishing in the winter just doesn't sound all that pleasing to me....heck, I barely have the patience to lake or river fish in the summer....I guess I was spoiled as a kid, when I fished in the ocean. In goes the bait....out comes a fish....it took many years to relearn how to fish in small ponds,lakes and rivers.....

At least I know it CAN be done Wink
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Yeah, it's alot different when you grew up developing your own style of fishing on your home waters. I can put most guys to shame here on the river and I hear them complaining about there not being any fish in the river. Yes, that's right......there are no bass in the river.......now go home and leave my area alone. tongue
If they ever saw some of the stringers of bass I bring home after one of my night fishing trips.........they would be following me around like a shadow. Very Happy
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Happy Birthday to your dad Mo!!!

Like you Hawcer, I spent my younger days with my dad down in Morehead NC fishing for Blues, Cobia, Sea Trout, Croakers, Hogs Heads..... Those some good eatings there. We also would toss a throw net for some shrimp and have our crab pots set out and check them every evening. Once we had a great deal a mess of em, we would do a huge fish fry for everyone in the campground to join in the fun. Clean out the Crabs, remove the lungs and stuff and just toss them in the pot, legs and all, crack the shells in halves, some potatoes, peas, carrots,Corn Potato Soup mix it all up, toss the crabs shells with meat legs, the shrimp, diced up fish, also deep fry fish all battered up, mmmmmm I miss those days. In the famouse words of my neighbor InfantryJohn, makes your tounge want to smack your brain so good.....

These days, I perfer river fishing over Lake fishing. I personally believe that he Lake fish are lazier than the river. I attribute this to slower moving currents with a low oxygen count to keep them lazy. In the river, the water is faster moving, hence better oxygen = more fighting and strong fish. I can catch 3 times more fish in the river than the lake. Catfish on the other hand, those hit rather in the lake or river LOL....I like to believe in the oxygen theory myself. If anything, it helps me sleep better at night thinking its the fish and not me... LOL
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:20 pm

well unfortunately gigging season closed the 15th I didnt get a chance to go at all this year. been a hectic year. and Mo is right there aint no fish in the river Suspect so y'all just stay out of there Very Happy there is lots of good fishing to be had in the winter. thats why yankees build tent cities on the ice and fish through it I married one of them. lol she keeps telling me i should go out ice fishing in MIchigan. but if she had as many butt whoopns as i had for getting out on our frozen ponds she may start to understand. LOL
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next