Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!!

+8
dartfreak75
brow_tines
hawcer
billarrington
Daywalker
DanRickard
XbonesX
Mohunter
12 posters

Go down

First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!! Empty First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!!

Post by Mohunter Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:35 pm

I know this isn't about reloading and has nothing to do with guns, but it is about hunting and it fires a single projectile, and also takes an unbelievable amount of practice, patience, and skill. So, maybe you all can see the correlation between the bow and the gun.
I thought it was an awesome kill none the less and I thought you all might think so too.

Yes Bones, I Am Smiling!!! tongue

BTW- I'm using all traditional archery tackle which has no sights, no release aids, no wheels or cams, and a home made cedar arrow fletched with feathers, and tipped with a razor sharp 125gr. Magnus Snuffer 3-blade broadhead. This is how the Indians did it, except they didn't have steel.....We can thank the pale face for that. What a Face First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!! 513893

First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!! FirstTradKill_Coyote001

First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!! FirstTradKill_Coyote004
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!! Empty Re: First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!!

Post by XbonesX Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 pm

affraid Mo is smiling!!! affraid

j/k. congrats man, that is definitely one to remember. but I did hear your neighbor called and they want their dog back Razz
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:53 am

Wow, Fantastic.. sweet kill bro.

very impressive, those critters are jumpy, it takes allot of skill with a compound and sights with a release.. and you did it with none of them..

i'm a bow hunter as well, so i can understand this achivement.

did you keep the Pelt?! are you going to tan it? or sell it to the taxidermist?

thanks,
dan
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!! Empty Thanks Guys!

Post by Mohunter Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:56 am

I see my post got moved?? Thank you moderators.....sorry, I didn't even know this category was here?
Wow, we have a place to post our kills and stuff.....that's great.

@Dan Rickard- Yeah I guess you could say that I like to challenge myself just to stay sharp...I guess? I've got an $800 Bowtech Guardian that's outfitted with all the bells and whistles, $150 G5 sights w/lighted sight pins......the whole 9 yards.....and shoots 303fps..........but yet I hunt with a recurve that doesn't even shoot half that fast?!?? Go Figure. Shocked Cool
I think since it's my first one with a bow I will go ahead and skin it? The hides aren't worth anything this year, especially in Missouri. Our coyotes are the big heavy Western skinned critters like they have out in NW country. Lately ours haven't even been worth the trouble to skin them, but since this is my first one with trad gear I should probably skin it and try to tan it or something?

There's just something magical about shooting this bow that is so simple, and I just can't put it down. I honestly love to shoot my Bear Grizzly recurve.....there's no other way to describe it....I simply love it. Of course, I hated it at first when I couldn't hit a barn door from the inside with it, but that was a long time ago. Now even when I practice with it, I have to make myself stop after a certain length of time or I'll be so sore the next day my arms will hurt for 2 days after wards, it's an addiction I guess? Oh well, it could be drugs or alcohol........I'll take the Bow!! Very Happy

@Bones- Yeah I know, I thought the same thing when I saw it coming through the woods......"I wonder whos dog that is?" Then I saw it was a coyote and switched into kill mode real fast!
They do get alot bigger than this one, but I'm sure this is only a year old coyote, so it's basically a juvenile. The big male that I have tanned on my wall weighed almost 50lbs. and he is the size of a medium sized wolf.....very big for a coyote!
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:13 am

Seeing something that finally puts a smile on your face tells me this is one of those set out to do and accomplish moment! Great job man. Glad to see the way of the past keeping with the future...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by billarrington Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:57 am

good shot man ! yote are pretty wiley... u must a been hiding good lol... them yotes just cant get the message can they...STAY OFF MY DANG PROPERTY !!!

billarrington

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:15 am

Dang Mo... I have a hard enough time getting them with a scoped rifle and hear you are getting one with a sightless bow.

greenwithenvy
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:02 pm

wow, just wow congrats, I've been bowhunting for several years now. Please pat yourself on the back for me !!!!
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:08 am

dang that is the first time iv seen mo smile he must be really happy! i know that is impossible hard its hard enough to kill a deer with a recurve but a yote thats unheard of!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:15 am

wow now that's just straight up bad ass a yote with a bow. the extreme predator.. WTG!!!!!
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks guys!
I wish I could get a chance at a deer the same distance as this coyote was.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by camerl2009 Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Mohunter wrote:I know this isn't about reloading and has nothing to do with guns, but it is about hunting and it fires a single projectile, and also takes an unbelievable amount of practice, patience, and skill. So, maybe you all can see the correlation between the bow and the gun.
I thought it was an awesome kill none the less and I thought you all might think so too.

Yes Bones, I Am Smiling!!! tongue

BTW- I'm using all traditional archery tackle which has no sights, no release aids, no wheels or cams, and a home made cedar arrow fletched with feathers, and tipped with a razor sharp 125gr. Magnus Snuffer 3-blade broadhead. This is how the Indians did it, except they didn't have steel.....We can thank the pale face for that. What a Face First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!! 513893

First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!! FirstTradKill_Coyote001

First Coyote with a Recurve Bow!! FirstTradKill_Coyote004

nice im getting my bear recurve for small game its only 30lb so cant hunt deer here with it but its good for samll game
camerl2009
camerl2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:53 am

Trad bows whether they are recurves or longbows are just plain fun to shoot. I think 30lbs. is plenty for small game Cam.
Get good with it and get used to the poundage then work your way up to a #45 or #50 recurve or longbow. They go after some medium deer sized game with it.........I know they have some really nice whitetails in Canada.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 am

WOW this is Awesome..... Nice pasture mutt......

I have never in my life gotten a coyote with a bow.... I can never get them that close, to open in western Oklahoma.... my adopted dad used to get them all the time but that was at night and night hunting even for coyotes is illegal now....
Dang Mo that is such a good job.....

tell me how you did it??? I always need pointers from a successful hunter....

There has to be a good story here.....

Congrats again very nice.... such a hard thing to do....

All deer have to be taken with a 45# or better here.....

Last edited by kcatto on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks!

I've actually gotten 3 shots this year at coyotes with a bow, 2 with my recurve with 1 kill, and 1 with my Bowtech that shaved hair off his back! affraid

I really don't know what the attraction to me is this year with coyotes? They just seem to find me no matter what I'm doing. I've only had a couple of shot opps at deer with my bow and have yet to release an arrow at one, but 3 bow shots at coyotes in one year that were all under 30 yards???
That's almost unheard of.

The story is kinda comical in my opinion.
I saw the coyote around 7:30am coming down the ridge while I was deer hunting off the ground, and I watched him amble his way down in front of me at about 50 yards away. I knew there was no way I would get a shot off with my recurve at that distance so I just observed and never even picked up my Grizzly that was hanging on a bow hook screwed into the tree next to me.

As the coyote made his way past me and down the hill he finally disappeared from sight and I thought he was gone. Then about 5 minutes later I saw him again and he was eating something he just caught. I watched him tearing pieces off this critter and gulping it down for a good 20 minutes and was just amazed that I was lucky enough to witness it all.

Then out of the blue........he grabs a piece of the critter and makes a B-line straight up the hill towards me! I quickly grabbed my Grizzly off the bow hook and stood up, turned into position for the shot and he stopped about 20 steps right in front of me. He began to dig a hole in the leaves to bury whatever it was he had been eating on and by then it was too late........the 520gr. Cedar shaft tipped with a Razor Sharp 125gr. Magnus Snuffer 3 blade was already on it's way.

The arrow zipped through his left shoulder and completely passed through him like he wasn't even there and buried about 3" into the dirt on the opposite side of him. He squealed instantly and took off like a turpentined cat, but only made it about 25 yards before rolling end over end at a dead run, then all was still. I couldn't believe what just happened and had to sit back down on my bucket to catch my breath. My heart was about to pound out of my chest and while regaining my composure and thanking God for such a great experience...........I realized that I had just killed my first coyote with a bow in 26+ years of bowhunting and I did it with a Bear Grizzly recurve bow and a home made woodie!

The whole experience ranks right up there at the top of my most memorable and exciting bow hunts ever.
I couldn't have been more excited, tickled, and proud than if it had been a Boone and Crocket buck.

After the whole thing was over, I decided to try and find what the coyote was trying to bury when my arrow zipped through him and ended his digging. You'll never guess what it was he had killed and ate right in front of me????

A possum.
Yep, he killed and ate almost an entire possum right there while I watched with great interest and the part he was burying still had the tail attached to it.

That's why I'm a bowhunter. I've had some of the most amazing and thrilling experiences in the woods while bowhunting than I have ever had while carrying a rifle. Mostly I think it's because we as bowhunters and especially with traditional equipment........chose to handicap ourselves because we love the challenge, and that results in more watching, observing, and learning how to get critters close enough for a shot.
Had I been carrying a rifle that day.........the coyote would have been down seconds after I first saw him and I would have missed all the excitement that transpired that morning.

How's that for a story? Wink
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Man you officially have the Coyote MOJO.....

That was the kind of story I was expecting.... makes me even happier for ya.....

too awesome.....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Thank You Sir!
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by VTHILLBILLY Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:18 pm

NICE JOB
VTHILLBILLY
VTHILLBILLY

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks, now I just need a deer kill with my trad equipment, but that won't happen till next season. Hopefully I'll have a new bow by then? Or at least a "New to me" trad bow.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down