Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!!

+8
brow_tines
hawcer
Pathfinder
Reload3006
sdsviper
RichBirdHunter
eagle60
Mohunter
12 posters

Go down

First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!! Empty First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!!

Post by Mohunter Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:37 am

Haven't been here for a little while, but work has been hectic lately. Put in 60 hrs. this week and we are working every other Saturday, plus trying to squeeze in some hunting time when I can.
I did manage to skewer a young hen turkey the other evening and thought I'd share with the group.

I used an adder point behind the broadhead so the arrow would stay in the turkey and it did just that very well. I actually had to cut the broadhead out while I was cleaning it because I couldn't pull it out against that adder point, which is basically a stopper that goes behind the broadhead that has 4 sharp fins on it to slow the head down. They also work very well on small game when put behind a field point.

Anyway, here's some pics of the kill and yes........that is the Bradford shorty recurve that I got in the bow swap on Trad Gang Bowyers Bench forum. A guy in California made it for me and it's a hard shooting little machine! Also for the new guys who don't know me or haven't read many of the posts I've made about my bows, those skins on the limbs are water mocassins and I put those on myself.

First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!! FirstTurkeyWithABowBradfordRecurve002

First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!! FirstTurkeyWithABowBradfordRecurve001

First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!! FirstTurkeyWithABowBradfordRecurve003

First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!! Bradfordbowwithskins001

First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!! Bradfordbowwithskins003
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!! Empty Re: First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!!

Post by eagle60 Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:19 am

Way to go Mo! Congrats on harvesting the turkey. Glad to see that your trade bow is working out good for you. I thought I had you a copperhead skin the other day - a friend of mine was telling me about killing one but it was 3 days after the fact lol.
Good job!
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!! Empty Re: First Turkey with a bow and did it with a Recurve!!

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:34 pm

Way to go!! Working hard and hunting hard, the Lord just is blessing left and right
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Great job. Glad to hear the job is working out to bad it cut in to hunting time. I got one with a bow 10yr or so back lucky shot on my part missed high and hit it in the neck. Embarassed I have tried for one many times before and after always get busted on the draw.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Great Job A turkey with a bow is braggn rights no doubt shoot
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks fellas!

Yes Rich, the Lord has blessed me in many ways and I thank him every day for everything I have. It seems that lately everything is finally coming together for me and I couldn't be happier.
It just takes time and patience with everything you do in life and keep moving forward, eventually you'll see it through to the other side.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pathfinder Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Nice one Mo. Congrats
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 am

Gotta love it when hard work pays off! Very nice!!!!!
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:54 am

sweet,you da man Mo !!!!
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks fellas, it didn't come naturally for me shooting instinctive with a traditional bow. I had to practice my arse off like most people to get to the point I felt comfortable hunting with a recurve or longbow. 2 years ago I couldn't hit a bull in the butt at 10 steps, but I kept plugging away at it till it finally just clicked one day. My confidence is at an all time high right now and I don't feel handicapped one bit not using a compound bow anymore. Matter of fact, I sold my last one and don't even own a compound anymore so that's not even an option.

I can't wait till my oppurtunity at a whitetail, it's gonna be sweet!
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:40 pm

seriously mo you cant even smile for that lol just yankin ya thats awsome turkeys are hard enough to kill with a shotgun a modern bow is extremly challenging a recurve is well.... dang near impossible great job
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Nice turkey and congrats on a good trad kill!
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:13 am

Congrats on busting that bird with a traditional bow no doubt. I am interested in this adder point you are talking about. Could you show some pics of the way it is set up on the bow? Thanks in advance....

I just love the way you decorate the limbs of the bow in snake skin, just awesome....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks Daywalker. Here's a link to the adder point I used behind my broadhead. They also work behind a field point to make a lethal small game stopper. They are absolutely wicked on squirrels and rabbits or just about any other small critter you want to put them into. Cool

It's pretty much self explanatory, just slide it over the stem on the broadhead then screw it into your arrow shaft and that's it.

http://www.cabelas.com/specialty-broadheads-field-points-adder-points-1.shtml
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:13 pm

just remember Adder points add 25 grains, so you have to go down on your field point or broadhead weight if you are sighted in, or re-sight.

My Uncle uses them for quail and rabbits, another guy I know just uses the Judo points.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=744864&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D744846&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-411445
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down