Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gas check?

5 posters

Go down

gas check? Empty gas check?

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:11 am

hey i was wondering at what velocity do i need to start adding gas checks im looking into some molds for my 35 rem im looking at 158 grain bullets cause i have a load for 158
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

gas check? Empty Re: gas check?

Post by Reload3006 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:12 am

personally for rifles i just use them. I think the rule of thumb is around 1400fps but I have read several articles that its really not the fps so much as it is the pressures associated with the speed, and the yield strength of your bullet alloy. Muddy water huh? there are those out there who swear that you can push a cast bullet using the right powder etc as fast as a jacketed one. I'm not sure I believe that. but I did read it. If I was loading for a 35 I would put a Gas check on them and try for around 2000 fps. Wish there was a better answer for ya dart. But it depends really on a lot of things like Alloy Lube etc. I know gas checks are way expensive I just bought a box of 44 like to have pooped my drawers. I am either going to look at the free chex system or Pat marlins or make a gas check maker. Good luck
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:07 pm

I've never used them before, but I've seen lots of videos making your own gas checks. Looks pretty simple to me.

As far as velocities for the .35 goes, I doubt you will get much more over the 2,000fps mark because of the nearly open case neck design and it's length, it just doesn't have the ability to build the kind of pressures to produce higher velocities.

I did try some 158gr. XTP's out of my .35 when I had it and they did seem fairly accurate.

Let us know how it works out Dart.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:43 pm

The .35 Remington is well-suited for bullet weighing 180 grains and up. Because of the pressures/velocities that the cartridge operates at, and because this is a Micro-Groove barrel, a GC is called for to make sure the bullet gets the best "grip" possible on those small lands and grooves. The bullets need to be flat-pointed, or bluntly round-nosed, to function safely in a tubular magazine. And they need to fall from the mould blocks slightly oversized so that they can be sized .359". Four were chosen for use in the .35 Remington levergun; two from LBT (the 180 WFN and 200 LFN), the RCBS 35-200-GCFP and the Saeco #352 (their 245 grain GCFP). Crimp-on Hornady gas-checks were used throughout.

35Remcast.jpg (18006 bytes)The cast bullets used in the .35 Remington- the LBT 358-180-WFN, the LBT 358-200-LFN, the RCBS 35-200-FP, and the Saeco #352 (245 grain FPGC).

The LBT .358 180 WFN was originally designed as a revolver bullet, and is one of my favorites for the .357 Maximum. Loaded somewhat unconventionally, I thought it might also be suitable for the .35 Remington. When crimped in the crimp groove, this bullet will cycle just fine from the magazine, but will not chamber due to the extended bearing surface that this bullet has forward of the crimp groove (and the short throat of the Marlin). Ignoring the location of the crimp groove (and filling it with lube), and seating the bullet deep enough to crimp the case mouth lightly over the ogive (OAL = 2.170"), results in a cartridge profile that feeds just fine from the magazine when single loaded, but if multiple rounds were loaded in the magazine, there were problems with jamming (OAL was too short). Loaded on top of 40.0 grains of H335, this bullet delivered respectable accuracy, and a remarkable 2288 fps! But the feeding problems preclude this from being a useful hunting load in the Marlin levergun (although it might be a real peach in the Contender).

The LBT .358 200 LFN has much the same problem as the 180 WFN -- crimped in the crimp groove it will cycle, but not chamber. Seated deeper (OAL = 2.325") and crimped over the ogive, it chambers and cycles just fine (both singly and multiply loaded -- no jamming problems experienced). Seated thusly, only the crimp-on Hornady GC is below the bottom of the case neck. A caseful of powder will prevent the bullet from being seated deeper by recoil while waiting in line in the tubular magazine. 38.0 grains of H335 delivered excellent accuracy at 2154 fps, and cycled just fine. A more modest load was 41.0 grains of H414 with this bullet (similarly loaded), which gave 1776 fps and good accuracy.

The folks at RCBS clearly had the .35 Remington in mind when they designed their 35-200-FP. When crimped in the crimp groove, the base of the GC come down even with the base of the neck. The OAL is 2.410" (maximum allowable OAL for the .35 Remington is 2.525"), and as a result, it cycles perfectly in the levergun. When loaded over 38.0 grains of H335, this fine bullet left the Marlin at an impressive 2184 fps and gave excellent accuracy (5 shots into an inch at 50 yards with buckhorn sights). This is an excellent all-round load for the .35 Remington. This load could easily turn into a personal favorite for the .35 Remington levergun.

The 1-16" twist of the Marlin should be able to easily handle bullets heavier than 200 grains. Saeco was also clearly thinking of the .35 Remington when the #352 (their 245 grain GCFP) bullet was on the drawing board. The OAL of the cartridge when loaded with this bullet is 2.510", meaning that it just sneaks in under the maximum allowable length of 2.525". As a result, it cycles and chambers just fine crimped in the crimp groove (which leaves only the GC exposed below the bottom of the case neck). Bullets drop out of my mould blocks at about .360", making them an excellent fit for a slightly oversized bore. The Dupont Handbook lists 31.0 grains of IMR 3031 as being a maximum load for a 250 grain jacketed bullet when loaded into the .35 Remington, so this was chosen as my starting point for the Saeco bullet (which weighs 241 grains checked and lubed when cast with WW alloy). This combination gave fine accuracy and 1906 fps. Similar excellent performance was turned in by 32.0 grains of Acc. Arms 2520 (1897 fps). These last loads are also candidates for personal favorite in the .35 levergun. I know I sure had fun spending a sunny afternoon bustin' basalt at 100-200 yards with them.

The bottom line is that while many powders work well in the .35 Remington, H335 and Acc. Arms 2520 are worth trying first; they're both winners.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:44 pm

wish i could claim credit bu cant hope it helps
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:56 pm

You may be able to get away with not using a gas check if you use Linotype alloy and water quench while casting. You may also test a 50/50 mix of linotype and WW.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:30 pm

thanks guys
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:23 pm

If you get your mould Dart, hollar at me. I have some 35 caliber gas checks that I am not using anymore that you are welcome too...

Again, I would check out www.fmreloading.com. Their rifle moulds, and I am not sure if they have the one your looking for, they have them around the 16.00 mark which is way better than anywhere else I have seen. They also sell gas checks around the 29.00 mark....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down