Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies

4 posters

Go down

Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies Empty Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies

Post by Arty Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:11 pm

I picked up a set of these this week in 12 and 20 gauges. Anyone ever use them? They are HUGE! 1 1/4 x 20 thread. The whole set weighs probably 10-15 pounds. I've seen them mentioned on boards discussing loading brass shot shells. After I get them cleaned up a bit I'll post some pics. I found an instruction sheet copy at http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/swaging/12gauge/001.jpg
and
http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/swaging/12gauge/002.jpg
Arty
Arty

Back to top Go down

Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies Empty Pics

Post by Arty Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:27 am

The "normal" die in both pics is an RCBS 30-06 FL Sizer. Several of the parts seem to be custom made. I may have to buy a few brass 12 ga cases to try these out!

Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies Herter10Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies Herter11
Arty
Arty

Back to top Go down

Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies Empty Re: Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies

Post by eagle60 Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 am

I've never seen anything like these . Looks like some seriously heavy duty equipment though.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies Empty Re: Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies

Post by EdgarEg Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:43 am

1 1/4 x 20 threads. That is the 50 BMG size, right? So you use them on your 50 BMG press?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Arty Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:50 am

Edgar - I believe most modern big stuff, RCBS , Lee, etc. use 1 1/4 x 12 thread. I have several old H presses, a Micro Precision Schissel Design, and a Deitemeyer 200, that have the older 1 1/4 x 20 threads. I really have no knowledge of the history of the this thread evolution, maybe someone out there can enlighten us.

Last edited by Arty on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Arty
Arty

Back to top Go down

Post by Arty Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:23 pm

This is the Micro Precision on the left, w/ the Herters die installed, next to a Classic Cast. Way on the left is a corner of a Deitemeyer 200

Herters Model Perfect Shotshell Dies Herter12
Arty
Arty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Hmmmm........that's a new one on me. Can it reload regular shotshells also?
I've got an old Herter's single stage press, but the threads are for standard dies, only thing I had to buy for it was a universal shell holder adapter so it would accept any of my Lee or RCBS shell holders.

I hardly use it anymore since I got my Lyman TMag II press, now it does everything except shotshell. I got an old Lee Load All for that.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Arty Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:31 am

I don't see why they wouldn't load plastic and paper. It sized the plastic AA in the pic. Problem is I'd guess it would take all day to load a couple hundred rounds! Crying or Very sad I can't see much modern use for them unless a guy needed to resize brass cases. I'm just going to play with them a bit, then put them in my "museum", aka a big cardboard box.
Arty
Arty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down