Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lead in AK?

5 posters

Go down

Lead in AK? Empty Lead in AK?

Post by fusil56300 Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:06 am

Bonjour,
with the prices of ammo not getting any better here in Europe I've been asked by a friend to cast bullets for his AK. He's gonna order a LEE mold and lube sizer kit.
BUT FIRST....I we'd like your advice. Any thoughts on feeding it lead.
I have a good stash of w/w lead ingots and pewter also.
Is w/w lead hard enough for an AK, it'll be for light plinking loads nothing hot.

Merci,
fusil56300
fusil56300
fusil56300

Back to top Go down

Lead in AK? Empty Re: Lead in AK?

Post by Reload3006 Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:20 am

the only thing that would scare me about Lead in a semi-auto would be plugging the gas ports. Lots of people do it as long as you would be comfortable with your ability to get impacted lead out of the gas ports I would try it.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 am

There is a method that you can use as well. Kinda expensive since it envolves gas checks. Of course you would gas check your bullet, however, I am speaking of wilks gas checks.

Let me look up the schematics, however, this one ummmm well, person (we don't get along, go figure) he would take a gas check, and using a hole punch, punch the bottom out to create a ring. Then place the ring into the lube groove inside your mould and then cast. What you get, is jacketed driving bands instead of lube in the groove.

You may have read about that. As much as this particular person and I do not get along, I have to say that once he learned about the wilks gas check and how to do it proper, he has had good results. NicNac has shot some of his Wilks gas checked cast boolits through his ar 308....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 am

I believe it was a 30 cal gas check that he was using when casting for his AK....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mkrueger Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:07 am

Daywalker wrote:There is a method that you can use as well. Kinda expensive since it envolves gas checks. Of course you would gas check your bullet, however, I am speaking of wilks gas checks.

Let me look up the schematics, however, this one ummmm well, person (we don't get along, go figure) he would take a gas check, and using a hole punch, punch the bottom out to create a ring. Then place the ring into the lube groove inside your mould and then cast. What you get, is jacketed driving bands instead of lube in the groove.

You may have read about that. As much as this particular person and I do not get along, I have to say that once he learned about the wilks gas check and how to do it proper, he has had good results. NicNac has shot some of his Wilks gas checked cast boolits through his ar 308....

James was messing around with driving bands way before the retarded pickle did. Give him the credit.
mkrueger
mkrueger

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:16 pm

Yes, James did talk about it. He introduced it to everyone. The other person took the concept and ran with it and actually put it to use.... Both deserves credit with the most credit given to Wilks...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mkrueger Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Daywalker wrote:Yes, James did talk about it. He introduced it to everyone. The other person took the concept and ran with it and actually put it to use.... Both deserves credit with the most credit given to Wilks...

I was just trying to make you feel better. monkey
mkrueger
mkrueger

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Wow wasn't expecting that
Iv been curious as well about shooting lead the sks but I read not to due to the gas ports seems to me if you keep it cleaned wouldn't hurt anything plus should have any leading with gas checks any way
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down