Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mohunter's 8pt. Rifle Kill 2010 Season

+7
billarrington
brow_tines
sdsviper
Daywalker
hawcer
XbonesX
Mohunter
11 posters

Go down

Mohunter's 8pt. Rifle Kill 2010 Season Empty Mohunter's 8pt. Rifle Kill 2010 Season

Post by Mohunter Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:47 pm

I'm finally getting around to posting some pictures and a bit of the story behind my 8pt. I killed yesterday 11-14 at around 12:30 midday.
I took a trip down our fence line on the west side to trace out the border and maybe catch a buck bedded down. Well, I did just that.
I walked up to within about 50 yards or so of him and he looked like a statue laying there on the side of the hill, until he moved his head to look around, but he never looked my direction. I had to shoot through some brush and the shot was a hair high, but very effective. He simply rolled over on his side and expired.
It appears that one of the guys on the neighboring property took a running shot at this buck the night before, which is highly unethical in my book. #1 it was too dark when he shot, I know because I heard the shots as I was leaving my blind. #2 shooting at a running deer is a low percentage shot to start with, then factor in the absence of good shooting light and you are setting yourself up for disappointment and a wounded deer. That's exactly what happened because this buck had the lower part of his left front leg almost disintegrated. It was a nasty looking mess, but not immediately lethal. Had I not found this guy he would most likely have died from infection and eaten by coyotes in a week or two. That's not a fitting demise for such a Nobel creature, and I see this kind of thing all the time. Especially from guys who call themselves hunters, and don't even know the first thing about hunting. They don't shoot their firearms enough to know them inside and out like they should, they take low percentage shots, and are under the mistaken notion that gun+deer season+deer tag automatically makes them a deer hunter......how wrong they are.......it just makes them dangerous at best.

I'm very thankful to have this buck, and equally very thankful to the good Lord for leading me to him. I almost went in different directions more than 4 different times while on my walk down the fence line, but something kept pushing me in the direction I was headed. At one point right before I saw the buck, I actually walked past him into some really thick briar patches, and thorny thick stuff and turned around to go back the way I had went in. On my way back to skirt around the impassable maze of thorns, my brother called me on my cell phone to ask where I was and I stopped to answer my phone. While paused and answering my brother's question is when I happened to look to my left and there the buck lay bedded a mere 60yards to my left. I had actually walked past him once and turned around to come right back to where he was!
Call it coincidence, fate, or divine intervention....but I walked away with a feeling that it wasn't mere coincidence but rather something else at work that guided my steps through the woods yesterday. Sometimes you just get that feeling in your gut that there are other things at work in the world that we don't fully understand.....yesterday was one of those such times, and I think I was Meant to find that buck to finish the job that some idiot on the other side of the fence started.

My 1 shot high in the shoulder clipped the spine as it passed through causing instant paralysis and ending his pain immediately. He expired almost the instant the bullet touched him, and no more suffering.
Meat for the freezer and my good deed for the season all in one package......I am content to say the least.

Here's the Hero pics.

Mohunter's 8pt. Rifle Kill 2010 Season Chriss20108ptBuck006

I included this one to show how big his body was, this dude was a hoss. He's been eating soybeans all summer and acorns all fall. I would have estimated his live weight at close to 200lb.
To give you some indication of how big he is, I'm 6' 250lbs. standing right next to him and no it isn't trick photography either.........like when some guy stands further away from something to make it appear bigger. I am literally right next to the buck, with my hand on top of the hanging board above him.
(And No...I'm Not smiling so don't even start with me Taylor! tongue )

Mohunter's 8pt. Rifle Kill 2010 Season Chriss20108ptBuck006-1
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Mohunter's 8pt. Rifle Kill 2010 Season Empty Re: Mohunter's 8pt. Rifle Kill 2010 Season

Post by XbonesX Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:43 pm

Well the Deer Gods have smiled upon the leader of the Cult That Never Smiles. Neutral

congrats man, nice deer. lol!
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Mohunter's 8pt. Rifle Kill 2010 Season Empty Re: Mohunter's 8pt. Rifle Kill 2010 Season

Post by hawcer Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:23 pm

NICE!!!!

Maybe a twelve pointer would make you smile.... Laughing
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks guys.
I'm plenty happy with my buck....trust me I'm estatic inside......I just have a tendency to downplay my emotions on the outside.
This 8pt. probably means more to me than the 12pt. that I have on my wall, just because of the history behind how I got him and the fact that I got tired of sitting on my rump and decided to get up, get moving and make something happen.
That's real hunting in it's truest form, that's how the old timers did it before all the factory made treestands and blinds became available. Back in the day of my grandpa, taking a "Stand" meant just that.......you found a good tree and you stood by it and waited, it had nothing to do with getting up in a tree.
I also love deer drives, you don't get many shot oppurtunities but it's a heck of a lot of fun.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:09 am

Congrats Mo. I have been depressed that I have not been able to go hunting at all this year, well, except the opening day of bow. Seen Does that day but not a good shot. Talkin to all the hunters that I have seen so far, I have been told that only a small few have actually seen deer. I have heard that this year was pretty crappy and not many people having luck. I guess I don't feel as bad now for not being able to hit the woods.

Looking good man, looking good... you might not be showing it, deep down, your smiling lol...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:17 am

Congrats MO. As for smiling it just makes the world think your up to some thing. When I smile my employees get nervous. LOL
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:28 am

Mohunter wrote:Thanks guys.
I'm plenty happy with my buck....trust me I'm estatic inside......I just have a tendency to downplay my emotions on the outside.
This 8pt. probably means more to me than the 12pt. that I have on my wall, just because of the history behind how I got him and the fact that I got tired of sitting on my rump and decided to get up, get moving and make something happen.
That's real hunting in it's truest form, that's how the old timers did it before all the factory made treestands and blinds became available. Back in the day of my grandpa, taking a "Stand" meant just that.......you found a good tree and you stood by it and waited, it had nothing to do with getting up in a tree.
I also love deer drives, you don't get many shot oppurtunities but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Now that I think about it...I never knew what a deer stand was until I moved to the midwest. As a teenager I always tracked on foot....That's why it's called "hunting", not "waiting", LOL.

Like you said...Sometimes you just have to get off your arse to make something happen. What a Face
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:48 pm

Congrats on the deer, hunting here in Kentucky has been horrible this year. Opening morning a front starting coming in, the wind started to swirling horrible. Yesterday would have been a great day to been out, but I had to work 16 hours, today it piss poured the rain all morning, and then the wind kicked up about 25 miles per hour. So hopefully it will be better at the end of the week !!!
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by billarrington Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:10 pm

grats mo.... thats a dang nice buck good sir !!!! season dont open till monday after turkey day here lol ... i cant wait !! keep up the good work and i concur on the running shot, very low % shot from people who are low % shooters (3 sight-in shots per year) = wounded animals = imo piss poor hunting ethics ! just my 2 cents.....

billarrington

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:33 pm

What a great looking buck. I like how his rack has nice tall tines. What rifle did you take him with.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Thanks Guys!

Remington 700 BDL .270 with one of my handloads, 130gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. He just simply rolled over on his side, very quick.

My deer season has actually not been very good either. I saw 2 deer all weekend long, and one of them got to take a ride in the pick up truck with me. ccharactor

But, that's OK cause I got a nice buck and I couldn't be happier with the way my season ended even if I did only see one other deer. Thanks to my Creator for blessing me with such a nice whitetail.
Words of wisdom......"You may not get what you want, or always get what you need, but you always get what you deserve" unknown
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:35 pm

great buck . My son killed a nice 7 opening morning but I havent seen anything. But if i had to make a choice i would rather he got one than me
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:00 pm

very nice healthy looking deer....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:06 am

dang mo thats a monster! nice deer im happy for you!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks guys!
He's being turned into sausage and burger as we speak......yummm! Cool
Now I just need a nice small healthy doe to cut up for tender steaks and I'll be set on my venison for the year. I've still got till Jan. 15 to make it happen with a bow and I'm anxious to put an arrow in one with my recurve.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down