Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moly coated rifle bullet fouling.

4 posters

Go down

Moly coated rifle bullet fouling. Empty Moly coated rifle bullet fouling.

Post by wallenba Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Thursday I cranked off fifty rounds of 308 handloads in my Ruger M77 MK II target rifle. I had these Hornady 155 grain A-max moly coated bullets laying laying around for a while. I decided to use them to fire form some brass for the rifle. 41 grains of Benchmark was putting them a 1/4 inch apart @ 100 yards. SUPER! Around number thirty things started happening. My hits were walking away from me. Looking down the bore I saw only the light at the muzzle...very dark. I finished the rounds off and went home. This stuff seemed to bake itself to the bore. Three times with Break Free cleaning foam, wipeouts. Then Hoppes bore gel alternated with a bronze brush wrapped with bronze wool finally got it bright again. Lots of work. I don't think I'll shoot the rest of them.
Anybody else have a negative experience with them?
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Moly coated rifle bullet fouling. Empty Re: Moly coated rifle bullet fouling.

Post by Reload3006 Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:17 pm

I have never used them for the reasons you state. I am told however you dont want to clean the Moly out of your bore as it is supposed to be a good thing. just wipe with a dry patch and keep shooting. I dont know if that is good or bad I didnt try it.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick459 Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:10 am

when shooting moly you need to make sure that you have cleaned out all the copper fouling out of the barrel. you don't want to lay moly over the copper it affects accuracy. mix a 50/50 mixture of kroil and whatever gun solvent you are using or ed's red and just swab out the bore with a patch. all you are trying to remove is the carbon fouling and not the moly. then a patch lightly oiled down the bore. i can fire 150 rounds before i notice accuracy falling off. HTH
Rick
Rick459
Rick459

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:54 pm

Rick & Reload, luckily the barrel was very clean prior to shooting. I spent the morning wiping down the remaining bullets (150), then tossed them in my Hornady sonic cleaner. That removed most of the moly. After drying them off, I put them in my tumbler with walnut media and some Flitz. After only fifteen minutes or so they are looking perfect. All the moly is off and ready for reloading. Not a total waste, but took just a little effort.
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:36 am

A note with Moly coated bullets.....once the barrel is treated with moly bullets....the velocity will start to drop off due to the loss of pressure and friction and accuracy can suffer. Moly bullets are usually driven with more grains of powder than a non-coated bullet to achieve the same velocity.

Just keep that in mind...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down