Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

loose scope base

+2
kcatto
sdsviper
6 posters

Go down

loose scope base Empty loose scope base

Post by sdsviper Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:21 pm

I had a little problem shooting today the scope base screws were loose on my rifle (my bad). Embarassed I could not feel or see any movement of the rings or base but when I removed the scope the base screws were loose to the point I removed them (4) with with light finger pressure on the screw driver. The rifle would shot tight at 25yd but off an 18 inch target at 50yd. at first I though it was the new scope. I have not had a chance to shoot it after I put the base and scope back on. The question I have is would the loose base screws be enough to have that big of a move. The scope seemed to track when I first started shooting at 25yd.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

loose scope base Empty Re: loose scope base

Post by kcatto Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:59 pm

yes I would think loose scope bases would cause your shots to be off.... the father you get out the less it takes for your shots to be off and the more pronounced the shots will be off at a greater distance.. just a drop of loctite blue on the scope screws will take care of it..
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:05 pm

I agree with kcatto. Put some loctite on your screws, (it even comes in a thread tape form now too) and re-sight in your rifle. Even if it was on at first, the more shots you take the more it might have vibrated the screws and adjustment off. I'm not sure what caliber you were shooting, but I know I've had the same problems in the past where my gun would shoot good and I was just about to get it zeroed in when all of a sudden my shots would not group at all. It was VERY frustrating until I figured out what the problem was. I know not everyone has torque wrenches, but the mounts usually have a torque value that prevents damage to the scope, but is supposed to be tight enough to prevent this problem.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Oh, one more thing. Not to insult anyones intelligence, but just in case you didn't know..... DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE unless you like applying heat to things to loosen them. Darn
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:52 pm

I cleaned and put some blue loctite on the screws. The rifle is in 30-06. I have had base screws shoot loose before but I'm surprised it was that far off when they were not showing movement when I tried to make them move by hand. I hope it fixes the problem and it's not the scope or worse.
Shocked
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:48 am

I got back out to the range yesterday to work with my new CVA Apex . It shot much better than the first time I remounted the base and scope but as it turned out the scope was part of the problem. It did shoot ok with the bushnell DOA scope about 2 1/2 inches at 100yd but I changed the scope to a Nikon and that helped a lot it shot just over MOA out to 200yd. And that was with factory ammo Embarassed (I need a base line with factory ammo any way ). I hope to get a load worked up soon.

Thanks for all the help.

sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:21 pm

That's great news sd! Glad you found the problem and got it fixed.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:03 pm

I've had the same problem on some of my T/C Encore barrels.

I have a .375 JDJ carbine that likes to shoot loose scope mounts. As a matter of fact I pulled it out of the safe yesterday and would you know it - scope base is loose again.

This time I am putting the scope mount screws on with red Locktite and hope that should hold it. I have not been conked in the head yet by a flying scope, but have had friends suffer that inglorious experience.

You would think some of my cannons like my 338-378 Wby would be the one that shoots loose the scope but I have had more trouble keeping screws tight on regular guns like 7mm-08, 280 AI, .260 AI (AKA 6.5-308 AI) and my 6.5-284 for some reason.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:41 am

Any slight movement in the optics will give any group a shotgun pattern. Good job on locating and correcting the problem.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down