Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OAL question

+2
XbonesX
brow_tines
6 posters

Go down

OAL question Empty OAL question

Post by brow_tines Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm in the middle of reloading some rounds for my hunting rifle (Remington 700 30-06 ADL). Should I just use the OAL of what the manuals say, or should I use this method? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOaoFPAtNE and if I use this method what brass do I use, he said not to resize so do I use and brass, range pick-up or what?

BTW I'm using Hornady 150 grain SST, IMR 4064, and CCI primers
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

OAL question Empty Re: OAL question

Post by XbonesX Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:56 pm

here is another example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGXWadPMhi0

either method you use, you will want to use fired brass from your rifle.

if you have an expanding Mandrel for outside neck trimming you could use that with a resized case.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:57 pm

cant watch the video .... But if its about making a gauge to set your OAL to your rifle lands ... I would do that but in a 700 they are notorious for deep throats and you may not be able to use your ammo in your magazine. also you may not be able to get the bullet to seat.
See what happens.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:02 pm

I agree with reload3006, the mag well is probably going to be too short to seat your bullets a.few thousandth off the lands. That is depending on the bullet. A 150gr. Bullet may be to short to even get the bullet seated deep enough in the case.
Your best bet is (for hunting) seat the bullet deep enough in the case that they will feed reliably. If you are working up a load to see how accurate they can be you may have to load them 1 at a time into the chamber

Either way you are going to want to start with brass that has been fired through that gun. And it is going to need to be neck sized at the least. I like to partial size all my hunting rounds so they will feed smoother.

Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:38 pm

For my hunting rounds I would load no longer then magazine length. Making a OAL gauge is only good if you are going to load benchrest rounds.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:55 pm

OK the OAL is 3.340 as according to Lee's Modern Reloading. Just to make sure all the brass is fired through my rifle.

Tripples, partial size? so you just pretty much just neck size ?
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 pm

It is usually suggested that hunting rounds be full sized. Full sized rounds will cycle easier where as a neck sized case can have a rougher/slower extraction if you need a quick second shot. When it comes to partial resizing you really need a case comparator to check the headspacing. To do that you need a Hornady LNL compairator or a RCBS Precison Mic.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:03 pm

I would just neck size but before i loaded up the whole bunch and took off for the deer stand I would neck size then try them in my rifle to make sure they will work. sometimes you have to fl size not often but some rifles are just way finicky.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:31 am

For a hunting rifle, just FL resize and seat no longer than magazine length, work up your charges until you find the "sweet spot" and go hunting.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:58 pm

To partial size you are getting the same affect as a FL size but not bringing the case back to FL spec. Thus giving you a round that is slightly under chamber size but still larger than factory spec.
To do this I use my FL die but back it out a little. I can't tell you that's its a turn or 2, I actually have a washer (kept in my die box) that I set on my shell holder and adjust the die as i would to FL size.

Every rifle has a sweet spot. Just for example dad and I have .308's they are consecutive serial numbered. On his if you full length size the cases accuracy struggles, whereas mine I can FL size and accuracy is not as bad. One day playing around at the range I loaded a fired case out of mine in his chamber, the bolt closed without any force. I also tried to close my bolt on a fired case out of his, the bolt would not fully close. I'm sure I could have closed it with brute force.
When loading the OAL is quite different between the 2. Both are excelent shooters, but do not like the same recipe.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down