Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver.

4 posters

Go down

I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. Empty I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver.

Post by EdgarEg Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:23 pm

I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver.
Can they be made from plastic scrap?

So I got the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. It is on page 6 of their catalog here:
www.taurususa.com/pdf/2011_taurus_newcatalog.pdf
Here is what mine looks like:
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. M38010
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. M380cy10

The moon clips, or stellar clips as the manual calls them, are ok. But they are a little bit difficult to moon and demoon. So I am wanting the polymer moonclips like these guys sell:
http://www.beckhamdesign.com/khxc/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=RIMZ+Products

Here is what they look like:
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. RIMZ%20646%20-%20Close%20Up%20-%20Width%20300
They are very easy to put a case into and take a case out of.

But they do not have them for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. Does anybody know where I can buy some?
Or can I make some? Could I just take the lid of a margarine tub and cut them out of that? Maybe sharpen an empty .380 case and cut the 5 slots to fit?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. Empty Re: I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver.

Post by Nicnac Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:05 pm

I absolutly love the polymer clips over the metal ones for my SW 625 .45 acp. I have done some sufing and also can't find them for your .380. I would E-mail or call these folks and ask them if they have or know of anyone that is making them for your gun. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. Empty Re: I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver.

Post by EdgarEg Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Nicnac wrote: I would E-mail or call these folks and ask them if they have or know of anyone that is making them for your gun.
That day I did leave a message here:
http://www.beckhamdesign.com/khxc/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=contact
No response yet, probably because of the holidays.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:21 pm

SUMMARY: I would be happy to make a few of the plastic moonclips or a cookie cutter to allow ease of making more plastic moonclips. But so far all I have is a cobbled up mess. Maybe somebody else has ideas on how to make plastic moonclips? It sounds like it should be easy.

The rest of this post just shows my misguided efforts. If you have ideas, please just post them. Even if you mention things I have already tried maybe it just means that I need to try them again more carefully. All ideas will be gladly received.

DETAILS: I am thinking I need strong plastic to make the moonclips. So I got an empty cream cheese tub that had the 5 in a triangle on it.
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. 01_cre10

You can just barely see it in the photo so here is the 5 in triangle symbol I am talking about.
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. 2677

I got the idea that I needed to get the number 5 plastic by reading this:
http://environment.about.com/od/earthtalkcolumns/a/recycleplastics.htm

Then I found that a 10mm or .40 S&W case is pretty much the correct size for the center hole in the moonclip.
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. 02_40s10

And a .30 Carbine case is pretty much the correct size for the semi-circles in the moonclip.
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. 03_thi10

So I need to sharpen those cases with the Lee chamfer tool.
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. 04_lee10

There ought to be some way to make a cookie cutter to easily stamp out these moonclips, right?
I can easily get the center hole by having an arbor press cut the plastic with the .40 S&W case.
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. 05_arb10

So if I could make a cookie cutter I could stamp out a plastic moonclip in one press of the arbor press, right?

I tried drilling the plastic.
I tried tracing the moonclip onto the piece of plastic.
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. 06_tra11
Then I tried drilling the five outer holes. But the space between the center hole and the outer holes is so small. And the plastic curls up as I drill it so all I got was a cobbled up mess that I threw away before I thought to snap a photo.

I tried making a cookie cutter out of wood holding empty sharpened brass cases.
I thought I could make a cookie cutter by drilling holes in a piece of wood. Then drive in the one 10mm empty sharpened brass case in the middle and the five .30 Carbine empty sharpened brass cases around the middle. Then I could just press that cookie cutter into the plastic and make a moonclip quickly.
But the spaces between the holes is too small. The wood collapses.
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. 07_woo10

Other
I looked at making a cookie cutter from just putting the sharpened cases into the steel moonclip. But it seemed too wobbly.
I want polymer moonclips for the Taurus .380 ACP revolver. 08wob10

Last edited by EdgarEg on Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:53 pm

What about trying to do the same thing is sheet metal that you were trying to do in the wood?
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:22 am

how about drilling the holes instead of trying to cookie cut the draw your stinsel then drill out the holes then cut out the rest with an exacto knife?
i could get u some plastic i work at a plastic factory how thick do you need?
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:00 pm

dartfreak75 wrote:how about drilling the holes instead of trying to cookie cut the draw your stinsel then drill out the holes then cut out the rest with an exacto knife?
Thanks. I think I will try your suggestion.
dartfreak75 wrote:i could get u some plastic i work at a plastic factory how thick do you need?
Thanks for the offer! Let me figure out what I do need before I ask for anything.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down