Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How far to seat revolver bullets in general.

+3
dartfreak75
Reload3006
M./Karb.
7 posters

Go down

How far to seat revolver bullets in general. Empty How far to seat revolver bullets in general.

Post by M./Karb. Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:15 pm

I just started to reload cartridges.I am using both lee classic hand loaders for .38 and .357.I havent yet bought a reloading press.What I was wanting to know Is how far I should seat the bullets into the brass.I would appreciate any advice on the best way for cast and jacketed bullets.

M./Karb.

Back to top Go down

How far to seat revolver bullets in general. Empty Re: How far to seat revolver bullets in general.

Post by Reload3006 Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:53 pm

If you have your revolver seat your bullets deep enough that the cylinder can turn. most important. Other than that seat to the cannelure if your bullet has one if a wad cutter seat it all the way in the brass.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

How far to seat revolver bullets in general. Empty Re: How far to seat revolver bullets in general.

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:53 am

for starters you need a good set of calibers and a reloading manual it will tell you the OAL (over all lenght) for example the 38 spl 125 hornady xtp oal is 1.445 im not sure how to set the lee loaders to adjust for oal but with dies just screw it in or out hope this helps
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:41 am

dartfreak75 wrote:for starters you need a good set of calibers and a reloading manual it will tell you the OAL (over all lenght) for example the 38 spl 125 hornady xtp oal is 1.445 im not sure how to set the lee loaders to adjust for oal but with dies just screw it in or out hope this helps

This is the way to go.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:02 pm

1. When you use a wadcutter bullet (like HBWC = hollow base wad cutter) they really cut down on how much powder goes into the charge. It is because the wadcutter is seated so deep into the case.
2. If you use lead bullets you gotta expand the mouth a bit. With jacketed bullets you do not need to.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:20 pm

EdgarEg wrote:1. When you use a wadcutter bullet (like HBWC = hollow base wad cutter) they really cut down on how much powder goes into the charge. It is because the wadcutter is seated so deep into the case.
2. If you use lead bullets you gotta expand the mouth a bit. With jacketed bullets you do not need to.

i like to run my 148gr lhbwc seated half way and backwards man you talking about a hole
Travis
Travis

Back to top Go down

Post by M./Karb. Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Hey thanks everyone for all the advice. I really appreciate all of it from all of you.Everything is working out good. Recently I tried to use bevel-based bullets .158gr. in .38spl. cases that got flared like the other 200. They came out being way too loose after trying to roll crimp them. I got a bullet pulling hammer and took them all apart. The others with flat based bullets all came out right. I was wondering if I used a bigger flat-based bullet in those pulled cases if they would still reload right. I would surely appreciate any advice on the best thing to do.Thanks very much.

M./Karb.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 pm

you didnt say what dies you are using. But if rcbs etc in a single stage press just screw the die a little deeper. it will crimp heavier. they should work well.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 am

M./Karb. wrote:I just started to reload cartridges.I am using both lee classic hand loaders for .38 and .357.I havent yet bought a reloading press.What I was wanting to know Is how far I should seat the bullets into the brass.I would appreciate any advice on the best way for cast and jacketed bullets.

GO buy a reload book it will tell what ever bullet should be seated. That will be the safe way!

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down