Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welp...just broke my Bullet puller :(

+4
brow_tines
fletch_medic
Daywalker
hawcer
8 posters

Go down

Welp...just broke my Bullet puller :( Empty Welp...just broke my Bullet puller :(

Post by hawcer Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:55 pm

I was dismantling some reloads I picked up a while back so I could load them to my specifications. after the 30th round ,My inertia puller broke...grrrr. I wonder if this something RCBS will cover. I sent them a message just in case. If not..I'll be looking for a replacement.

Last edited by hawcer on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Welp...just broke my Bullet puller :( Empty Re: Welp...just broke my Bullet puller :(

Post by Daywalker Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Man, just your luck. Sometimes you don't even know your own strength.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Welp...just broke my Bullet puller :( Empty Re: Welp...just broke my Bullet puller :(

Post by fletch_medic Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:55 pm

I don't know if they would cover that. Sounds like tool abuse to me. I mean, you were beating it against a hard surface. Razz
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:05 pm

fletch_medic wrote:I don't know if they would cover that. Sounds like tool abuse to me. I mean, you were beating it against a hard surface. Razz

lol
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 pm

It was kinda hard...not concrete or anything,LOL. A piece of of firewood to be exact.

Speaking of breaking hammers...I've broken my Snap-on 40oz hammer 5 times now...but they keep replacing it. This last time the ball-peen end fell off(threaded shaft fractured in half) and all the "dead blow" shot spilled out. Yeah...I'm a little hard on hammers, but I wasn't excessive on the puller.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Maybe You should consider a collet bullet puller .... LOL... Now there is mechanic for ya ..... Break a hammer? how do you break a hammer? RCBS I would bet a dollar will replace it no question ...BREAK A HAMMER?
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:09 pm

Reload3006 wrote:Maybe You should consider a collet bullet puller .... LOL... Now there is mechanic for ya ..... Break a hammer? how do you break a hammer? RCBS I would bet a dollar will replace it no question ...BREAK A HAMMER?

The Snap-on hammers have a plastic handle with a steel insert. The head has a steel chamber threaded on both ends where the two ends of the striking part of the hammer screws in...with shot between them. I've broken the steel shaft in the handle a couple times and broken the threaded portion of the ball peen end a few times. They just don't stand up to the full round house blows I put them through...getting rusted brake rotors and hubs off isn't as easy as it used to be with salt compound they use in the winter and the cheap recycled metals being used now....Maybe I need a 12lbs sledge hammer?

Maybe I can borrow Thor's hammer...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:15 am

First off, Is it lead shot that is spilling out when you break them? This could answer a lot of questions. Twisted Evil

This also reminds me of an urban legend type story I was heard.

A guy walked into Sears and bought a Craftsman hammer. Went over to a vice in the store, with the clerk watching, and broke off one of the claws. Gave it to the clerk and told him he needed it replaced. The clerk gladly replaced without a word.

As I said, this is one of those stories you hear but can't verify.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 am

Sasquatch-1 wrote:First off, Is it lead shot that is spilling out when you break them? This could answer a lot of questions. Twisted Evil

It's some sort of shot they use for the "dead blow" effect. About the same size shot as you would fine in a 22lr or pistol shotshell.

Snap-on hammer <----link
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 am

That's why hawcer is so nice to us, when he gets frustrated he goes out and beats something with a hammer. lol! lol!
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Break the hammer. Use the shot in shell reloads. Have hammer replaced. Repeat.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 pm

fletch_medic wrote:Break the hammer. Use the shot in shell reloads. Have hammer replaced. Repeat.

Either that or he has found a new way to get free lead. Twisted Evil
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:40 am

I have also broken snap on hammers (not 5 of them) 2 that the steel came apart, one.broke the shaft at the base right at the weld, the other broke the threads off the flat face. the third the plastic handle broke and the rest of the hammer went flying with me holding onto about 3" of handle.

I was also in your shoes with a broken enertia puller, I think it was a Frankfort arsenal. Since I got a new one I started smacking it off another hammer instead of a hard surface. It kinda gives a double blow without the wicked impact.

I also put them nice pieces of foam that come in some of the bullet packs to keep from deforming the tips. Oh yeah and the first thing I did when I bought my new puller was throw them damn aluminium collets in the trash, and just use a regular shell holder in there place.

Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:01 pm

RCBS will replace the cap. But if I needed the handle ,I'd have to send it in for replacement. Good thing all that was broke was the cap,LOL

Too bad they don't make a metal cap...along with a metal sleeve over the striking part of the hammer.

Hmmm....this gives me an idea. I'll make one out of steel,brass or aluminum. I won't be able to see when the bullet drops out...but I should be able to hear if it has.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Hmmm....this gives me an idea. I'll make one out of steel,brass or aluminum. I won't be able to see when the bullet drops out...but I should be able to hear if it has.

+1 on the home made rig! I haven't broken my Frankford puller yet, hope it hangs in there for a good while yet.. Wonder how hard it would be to make one out of Lexan ?!?- but then again, a fellow could buy quite a few bullet pullers for the price of that .
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down