Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY bullet mould

+5
Pathfinder
CMAsailor
Reload3006
XbonesX
eagle60
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DIY bullet mould Empty DIY bullet mould

Post by eagle60 Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:11 am

Has anyone made any bullet moulds? I'm toying with the idea of making a "cherry" and using a couple of aluminum blocks to make a single mould and was interested if anyone here had tried it. If so, how did it turn out?
I know that I can order a double mould for 20 bucks but where would be the fun in that scratch
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

DIY bullet mould Empty Re: DIY bullet mould

Post by XbonesX Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 am

IraqVet (Eric) had a 4-5 part video series on his friend making him a mold for his Martini Henry rifle. I can't remember if any of the other members here have, maybe Pathfinder?
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:49 am

i have made a couple on an nc lathe didnt use a cherry they came out pretty good wish i still had them only thing i would suggest is mike an existing mold so you know what diameter to make it. if you make it lets say .429 for a 44 your bullets will be too small after they cool. There is a formula you can use but i forgot it. im sure some one here has it.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:51 am

Cool! I figured I would try the cherry method first - I don't have a 4-jaw chuck for my mini-lathe. Not sure if that would be easier or not.

Excellent point Reload. I hadn't thought thermal changes. I guess if they came out a little oversize I could still run them through a sizer die and be ok.

Last edited by eagle60 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:56 am

I used a drill sharpening machine to put and ogive on a drill bit, then clamped couple of pieces of alum together to see if I could do it and came up with a quick and dirty paper patch mould with alignment pins and everything, but never made handles or a sprueplate for it cause it was an experiment, just to see if i could. the video series Tater talks about describes the proper way of doing it.
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:07 am

A paper patch punch apparatus - I like it Smile I tried something similar for punching out copper discs. Thought I was going to form some copper jackets from old air conditioner tubing. Haven't figured out yet why the only thing I ended up with was copper donuts for crying out loud.. I guess I didn't have the punches shaped right or not enough lube, etc - I just chalked it up to experience.
I'm gonna have to find those vids - this may turn out the same as the copper disk project but I'm gonna have a ton of fun trying !!
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:09 am

the problem with a cherry is it is actually a milling cutter and an NC mill operator will program a machine to circular interpolate a hole with a "Cherry" all a cherry is is a form milling cutter but is it undersized. IF you have a lathe it is much easier especially if you only make one cavity. or as cma said you can make for drill lets say in a Keith shape undersized then grove to bore size that will make your lube grooves
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:19 am

I think I see what you're saying. Drill a pilot hole so the boring bar will have a place to work in and then expand that hole to the size of the bore with the exception of where the lube grooves will be, correct?
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:22 am

lol I dont know maybe we are saying the same thing. If you make a form drill say with a conical taper with a flat nose. Drill a smaller pilot hole then use your form drill to finish the nose shape then use a boring bar with a grooving tool bit to make grooves in the mold they will be your driving bands. in the bullet? am i making any sense? lol
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:30 am

I think we're on the same page. I'm still fairly green on the lathe work but enjoy the heck out of it. Eventually I want to get a 4 inch 4 jaw chuck for things like this.I saw the video of Daywalker unpacking his lathe and I was drooling all over the place. I can't complain though, I have two of the harbor freight style mini lathes (7x12 and 7x10) and have about $130 tied up in both of them. I would love to turn at least one of them into a cnc lathe but still working on the electronics. I know - too many projects Smile
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Pathfinder Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:08 am

I have been working on a bullet mould for my 44mag. I kinda put it on the back burner for a while. I got into aluminum casting and it has taken up a lot of my time. I get too many projects going at once Shocked You should be able to fabricate something decent with your HF lathe. Do you have a drill press? If so it would make it easier to form your lube grooves. You could either use a boring head or you could use a cross slide vice. This way you can run your cherry into the inner portion on the cavity.
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:45 pm

I got into aluminum casting and it has taken up a lot of my time. I get too many projects going at once

I resemble that remark my friend!!. I aquired some mouling sand from a local foundry which is ultra fine and should make some real smooth castings. I just need to find a suitable binder. A++ on the split pattern videos by the way.
I may be approaching the cherry thing the wrong way as the holes seem to come out a little oblong. I'm not sure at this point if it is the 15 year old import drill press or my procedure Smile Suffice it to say that I am so close and yet so far away. Crying or Very sad
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Pathfinder Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks for watching my split pattern video. Just keep plugging away man. It sounds like your on the right track. Plus if you make yours first Ill have someone to help me out when I go to make mine. Laughing
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:23 pm

LOL! Sounds like an even trade I'll try to give pointers on the mould and you can give pointers on the aluminum casting:)
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Well, here is the preliminary results of making a lathe cut mold with a cherry. I mounted the faceplate on the lathe and made a holding fixture for the mold block. Mold blocks are made from 3/4 inch aluminum cut to 1.5 x 2 inches. I drilled opposing corners and put alignment pins all the way through to hold things steady. If I can get it to where I'm satisfied with the results I will add the sprue cutter and handles later. These are .357 in diameter. My sons 357 slugged .356. I want to load them up in some 38 cases to work up a load. Don't know what they weigh in at yet - more than my lee scale can handle though. I'm still in the learning curve with the lathe and with casting so ya'll play nice LOL. As I don't own a video camera to make vids with, ya'll will have to settle with pics from the camera phone Smile

The holding fixture mounted to the faceplate.
DIY bullet mould 1494fsx
Centering the mold in the fixture.
DIY bullet mould Sdzi9x
Facing the mold block.
DIY bullet mould 35jb4oi
Boring the cavity. I did not get a pic of pre-drilling a 5/16 hole into the blocks.
DIY bullet mould 2qsnv28
Finished mold with the first cast.
DIY bullet mould Xo4bp2
First boolit alongside a factory bullet.
DIY bullet mould 34npnaa
The one on the left is as cast, center one has been ran through a sizing die, one on right is factory.
DIY bullet mould 59szus
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:45 pm

I should also add that this setup was not my own idea. I found a website where a colledge instructor had done the same thing.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:55 pm

That is totally awsome!!! I am very impressed.... greenwithenvy

Can't wait to see more from you...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Thank you kind sir! I'm having a lot of fun making a lot of chips!
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by billarrington Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 pm

great idea on the mold holder for the lathe....ill have to put that on my list of things to do....its only 14 pages long right now...lol.....bill

billarrington

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks bill. You got one of those list too? Not sure how many pages my list is now - I quit counting after 10! LOL
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:47 am

nice job that looks great man yall go me wanting a lathe something awfull
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:14 am

dartfreak75 wrote:nice job that looks great man yall go me wanting a lathe something awfull

Thanks man. They are handy to have that is for sure. I wouldn't have this one if I hadn't found it for cheap. Picked it up at a tool sale for $100. I also have a smaller version of this lathe that I found at Dirt Cheap last year and ended up paying something like 32 or 36 bucks for it. I nearly had to rebuild it from scratch but I believe it is a little more accurate Smile I'm good at making piles of chips but when I grow up, maybe I'll be half as good as some of these guys on here LOL.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:30 am

How did you get the grooves cut into the mold? Did you separate the halves and stick the bit in the middle? I can't picture it in my mind.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:55 am

Well, the best way I can explain it is, I bored a 5/16 hole in the mold blocks and run the cherry in to the correct depth, then use the cross slide on the lathe to get the cherry to cut into the side of the hole. I have it locked in the tool holder the same as a turning bit. Think of it as a spoon bit that cuts only on one side.
Hope this helps.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:13 am

looks great!!!
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content