Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your perfect bullet

5 posters

Go down

Your perfect bullet Empty Your perfect bullet

Post by algunjunkie Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:08 pm

Ok folks I am getting ready to place an order for a new set of swage dies for rifles. So I got to thinking, I know not good, I know what I am ordering but was courious about what others think is the perfect bullet.

So if you could design your perfect bullet, what would it be and get specific. What caliber, weight, meplat diameter, ogive6,7,8,9,10, tangent or secant, flat base, boat-tailed or re-bated, length or tipped. Get specific, after this is your bullet.

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Your perfect bullet Empty Re: Your perfect bullet

Post by Daywalker Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:28 pm

That is a good question. I wish I knew more about bullets to even think about designs!!

The calibers I would most be interested in would of course be the Grendel. However, a nice .308 would be awsome. I plan on having a .308, I mean, all Americans should have at least one 308 right? LOL

Will be looking forward to hearing the different designs that others will come up with. So far I have only shot 150 grainers through a friends .308. The Grendel has been 120 bt and 123 scenars.. Boat tail would be nice. I have shot quite a few boat tails and they seem to shoot great and accurate....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:54 pm

That's a hard one to pinpoint down to one perfect bullet. I suppose something along the lines of a VLD type...a really long pointed nose with just enough bearing surface to seat the proper depth and be as close to the lands as possible with out touching when chambered. A rebated boat tail would also be my preference .

For a heavy hunting bullet, I would prefer something more blunt with more mass in the bearing surface area.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Dang Al that is a tough question. It depends on the caliber what weight you want to use all the above. And then there is the qualification that you mentioned you already know what you are ordering. I personally like heavier bullets. so for me it would be in a 7 or 8s spitzer. the reason is because the heavier bullets need a longer nose. IMO they also give more bearing area for rifling and heavier bullets buck the wind better for long range shooting. I have rebated Boat tail dies so obviously i like them too but they aren't necessary for ranges under 300 yds. I like the versatility of 30 cal and in addition i like 8s because it gives the best weight ranges that i can do with straight lead cores. so when I order my 30 cal set it will be 8s spitzer and 1e round nose for lever actions in the 150 to 180gr weight range. and I will get a lead tip die too for the spitzer. I dont get all bent out of shape either way on the meplat. or open tip aerodynamically they fly pretty much the same.
And to be my all time perfect bullet would be one that had an electronic guidance system so it could correct for my sorry aim. lol! 50 cal
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Ok, just so folks know, I have a set of 308 dies on order for making a uld/vld style bullet with a 14s ogive and tipped with a solid metal tip insert. It is designed for extreme long range. I will also be able to make them flat base as well for the shorter ranges. I thought about ordering a 10 or 12 ogive point die as well but am currently undecided on that one.

So it will be long, pointed and re-bated, and if my math is right should have a BC of about .600. The bearing surface should be enough for proper seating and stabilization.

I am thinking long, long, long range, 1760yds to be exact.

And like you, I need all the help I can get to compensate for my aim.

Last edited by algunjunkie on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : poooooor spelling and grammer)

algunjunkie

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:29 pm

a touch over a one mile shot is reaching out there for a 30 caliber. Let us know how it preforms. thats almost in the 50 cal range isn't it ?
Shocked I may have to copy your lead if it works out. greenwithenvy
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:02 pm

one must have a goal, i have heard of 3000+ yards with 308s but they were highly modified guns

algunjunkie

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:56 pm

I watched a Brit Marine sniper in Afghanistan pop an exposed Taliban spotter from a little more than 2,000 yards using a .338 Lapua.

Northwest Custom Projectile makes a great .30 cal round for those of wishing to stretch the envelope a bit.

They are pricey at almost $2 per but I hear they shoot quite well. I want to stuff some in my .300 WSM which was barreled for 180 gr bullets.

http://customprojectile.3dcartstores.com/30-Cal-RBT-AT-180_p_42.html
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:20 pm

hey some one else is making the same projectile that I am going to make

see it is a good design

algunjunkie

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:48 pm

Well Algun when you get them made some of us would do QA for you! bounce

These guys I have mentioned in a few threads - they have the whole automated Corbin set up.

BTW the tips they use in this .30 cal bullet you can buy premade from Corbin.

They make them from aluminum in 2 sizes, & I would love to see a bullet like this with a VLD design in 225 .338.

http://www.corbins.com/highbc.htm#tips

Last edited by scorge30 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot Corbin info)
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 pm

same place that I am getting mine through.

I have done all kinds of cost analysis and know how much it cost to make a single round, trust me it isn't cheap. But the benefits are well worth it. High 6 BC and extreme long range with less powder or the same amount of powder and increase your range by at least a couple of hundred or more.

algunjunkie

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:13 pm

It is amazing how these high BC bullets can shoot.

NWCP sells their .30 cal 180 gr VLD with the aluminum tips for about $2 per & from what I understand that is not out of line.

Some of the guys around here have tried them, & the only complaint I hear is that they cannot produce them quick enough. They only do a production run when someone orders an order.

I would love to see some of the bullets when you get some cranked out. I want to order some from NWCP to shoot in my .300 WSM, but out of my shooting budget at the moment.

If I could get something similar in 225 gr for my .338-378 Wby, I would love to see how far I could hit that 16" gong.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down