Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New brass, what and when?

+2
Reload3006
Mohunter
6 posters

Go down

New brass, what and when? Empty New brass, what and when?

Post by Mohunter Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm getting into a new batch of brass. Brand new Win. .22-250 brass and from what I've checked with calipers, none of it needs to be trimmed. Next question...........Do you all FL resize new cases before loading for the first time? Do you anneal new cases the first time around or wait until fire formed to "your chamber" dimensions before annealing the case necks?
I've reamed the primer flash holes, checked the OAL of the cases, and ready to prime. Just wondering if you all wait till after the 1st time around to start the annealing process.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

New brass, what and when? Empty Re: New brass, what and when?

Post by Reload3006 Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:21 pm

I always fl size new brass. then after the first use anneal the necks. Its served me well. I cant say that its the correct thing to do. But I do know that you want to FL Size them as I thought that wasnt necessary on some 06 brass and had a lot of rounds I had to pull down because they would not fit my chamber.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:25 pm

I've had the same experience, but wanted some more opinions on new brass. I've always done a FL resize before loading as well as reaming the primer pocket flash holes. Wasn't sure about annealing the necks so that's why I asked. Thanks for the reply. I'm getting ready to stuff some .22-250 for the coyote season. Gotta have plenty of ammo!
On a side note, guys don't over look your flash holes on new brass, these were brand new Winchester casings and Man were they full of burrs! Wow, I thought they did a better job at the factory, but evidently not.

Sent you an email Reload.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Yea, I always FL size new brass and debur the flash holes. Gives me a that feeling that everything is right for when I go to load them..
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pegleg Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:19 pm

I full resize all new brass. Then I measure OAL, then neck. trim to fit std. dimensions. Fire form, then I don't worry about resizing. Trim the neck, when needed.
pegleg
pegleg

Back to top Go down

Post by psloader Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:29 pm

I fl size new brass too just to make sure all is good the time it takes to to so beats working on a rifle after tke fact lol !! Smile

psloader

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:36 am

My .223 brass gets full length sized. I shoot it through the AR and normally just resize and shoot about seven times before tossing it. My .308 brass gets full length sized once and then just neck sized.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down