Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coating bullets with Boron Nitride?

+6
XbonesX
BN_man
Nicnac
kcatto
Daywalker
hawcer
10 posters

Go down

coating bullets with Boron Nitride? Empty coating bullets with Boron Nitride?

Post by hawcer Fri May 20, 2011 10:00 am

Any one used Boron Nitride coated bullets? it's supposed to be as good as if not better than Moly coating with less mess.

Here is a good article on it...

http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/hex_boron_nitride_coating.html

I saw someone pawning this stuff on evil-bay for bullet coating and had to check into it.

I am curious on the effects it will have in the barrel....like moly does. Does it treat a clean barrel with the first few shots before the accuracy starts to show? Does the barrel have to be scrubbed clean before non-coated bullets can be used again?

Never heard of it before...so curiosity is getting the best of me.

If anyone is interested, it can be purchased for $52.00 a pound here:

http://sandblastingabrasives.com/hexagonal-boron-nitride-powder-order-page-781.html

They recommend the -5 micron for bullet coating. It's a tumble application, just like Moly.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

coating bullets with Boron Nitride? Empty Re: coating bullets with Boron Nitride?

Post by Daywalker Fri May 20, 2011 10:51 am

Very interesting. Had not heard of this before....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

coating bullets with Boron Nitride? Empty Re: coating bullets with Boron Nitride?

Post by kcatto Sat May 21, 2011 1:34 am

this is cool.... and good article.... I am not familiar with this either....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Sat May 21, 2011 1:15 pm

I am interested in this stuff if anyone wants to go in an a lbs of it and split it up. I looked it to HBN awhile back but it had to be ordered in larger quanities and from Canada. Not that its a big investment.
I would entertain the Idea of ordering this stuff and spliting in into smaller jars if anyone here in wanting too.
Let me know if your interested and I'll order a pound or 2 depending on how many would like to try it.
With 7000 gr's in a pound, I could divide out into 500 or 1000gr containers.
Let me know and I'll get this going.

Brad
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by BN_man Mon May 23, 2011 2:02 pm

My company actually offers reasonable quantities of BN powder for trial through a hobby company known as TAI Lubricants. They can be reached at 302.326.0200, and the contact there is Tom Madden. We suggest our grade HCPL for tumbling bullets and our grade AC6111 for coating gun barrels. As for instructions on these two activities, you can easily Google ["boron nitride" gun barrel bullet] and the first link will take you to a lively discussion of folks' experiences.

BN_man

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

BN_man wrote:My company actually offers reasonable quantities of BN powder for trial through a hobby company known as TAI Lubricants. They can be reached at 302.326.0200, and the contact there is Tom Madden. We suggest our grade HCPL for tumbling bullets and our grade AC6111 for coating gun barrels. As for instructions on these two activities, you can easily Google ["boron nitride" gun barrel bullet] and the first link will take you to a lively discussion of folks' experiences.

since you work with this stuff, do you have an answer to hawcer's above questions?

hawcer wrote:I am curious on the effects it will have in the barrel....like moly does. Does it treat a clean barrel with the first few shots before the accuracy starts to show? Does the barrel have to be scrubbed clean before non-coated bullets can be used again?
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon May 23, 2011 2:55 pm

some of my questions as well...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon May 23, 2011 2:59 pm

BN_man wrote:My company actually offers reasonable quantities of BN powder for trial through a hobby company known as TAI Lubricants. They can be reached at 302.326.0200, and the contact there is Tom Madden. We suggest our grade HCPL for tumbling bullets and our grade AC6111 for coating gun barrels. As for instructions on these two activities, you can easily Google ["boron nitride" gun barrel bullet] and the first link will take you to a lively discussion of folks' experiences.

First, let me just welcome you to the forum. Curious as to how you found us??

I do have a question to add. Reading up on HBN, I also notice a few other uses. One use I am curious about, Mould and Die release agent.. Would this be used for bullet casting? Applying to the mould to help aid in releasing cast bullets fromt he mould? If so, could you please explain the process of doing this as well??

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon May 23, 2011 9:09 pm

yes, Tommy and also as a mold release agent for pillar and action bedding a stock as well....

kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Mon May 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Daywalker wrote:
I do have a question to add. Reading up on HBN, I also notice a few other uses. One use I am curious about, Mould and Die release agent.. Would this be used for bullet casting? Applying to the mould to help aid in releasing cast bullets fromt he mould? If so, could you please explain the process of doing this as well??

DW I wonder if this product is available to the public????

http://www.advceramics.com/downloads/documents/GE_BN_Spray.pdf
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Mon May 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Here is some more reading....

http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletcoating.html
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon May 23, 2011 9:52 pm

I know of a few people who coated their bullets with molly. they claimed to have much better performance. But I also heard there were cons to the deal. Can anyone tell me what the negatives are and if you think that the same negatives would apply with the Boron?
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Mon May 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Reload3006 wrote:I know of a few people who coated their bullets with molly. they claimed to have much better performance. But I also heard there were cons to the deal. Can anyone tell me what the negatives are and if you think that the same negatives would apply with the Boron?

Would like to know the same.. Anyone? Buhler? Buhler? lol
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon May 23, 2011 11:36 pm

my hopes in asking BN_man ,being that he says it is his company, would that he would actually provide us with the answer. He has been back online since these questions were asked directly towards him, yet he has not given us an answer. I sure hope this isn't one of them google searches to see who is asking about the product and then squeaze in an advertisement not to give us answers to questions...

BN_man, can you please provide us with answers to the questions asked?
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Tue May 24, 2011 12:04 am

Yes, please BN_man if your able to help with these Q's please do help.
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue May 24, 2011 12:31 am

The best form of advertisement is to answer all our questions and make a few more customers out of us....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Tue May 24, 2011 8:47 am

You may want to look into the ceramic "glue" coatings that go in the barrel. It is supposed to do the same thing as Moly but no need to coat all your bullets.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue May 24, 2011 8:50 am

RemMan700 wrote:You may want to look into the ceramic "glue" coatings that go in the barrel. It is supposed to do the same thing as Moly but no need to coat all your bullets.

I wonder how this would do with cast bullets....if it is a friction reducer, It might deter alot of leading problems.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick459 Sat May 28, 2011 1:48 am

Reload3006 wrote:I know of a few people who coated their bullets with molly. they claimed to have much better performance. But I also heard there were cons to the deal. Can anyone tell me what the negatives are and if you think that the same negatives would apply with the Boron?

i have been using Molly in my rifle rounds since 1995. the first rifle that i used it for is my M-1 Garand back in the day's when i used to shoot service rifle matches. enclosed is a photo that i shot today with it. the target that i used is a 4" bullseye pistol. shot with open sights 12 shots total at 50 yds. this rifle has a low bullet count. only 1647 rounds down the barrel.
it sports a Douglas barrel and has never seen a naked bullet shot throught it. the rifling is still sharp and can shoot 200+ rounds through it before i notice accuracy falling off. one of the pluses using Molly is that when you clean the barrel all you need to do is use a patch as what you are trying to remove is the carbon build up.
i use Ed's Red which i make myself.years ago some shooters complained that the Molly attracted moister and some complained of their barrels rusting up. i have never ever in all the years of using Molly had that happen to me. but then i clean after i shoot and swab the bore with a patch using Neco Molly Slide on it. as for the use of Boron i expect as with Molly you will have to remove all copper build up in the barrel before use and when cleaning you only want to remove the carbon build up and not any of the laid down Boron. if you have more questions just PM me. HTH oh yeah the load that i used is 47.5 grns. of AA 2520 with a GoldenWest 168 grn. bullet on top. primers are Fed Magnum
Rick
coating bullets with Boron Nitride? Picture274
Rick459
Rick459

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:12 pm

I have never used BN but I have used quite a bit of moly.

Up until recently I used to moly coat most of my 7mm, 6.5mm, and 35 cal bullets used for busting rams.

I still have a few of the old solid Barnes X Bullets 7mm 140 gr that I moly coated for feral pig hunting in CA with my pet 7mm IR and 7x30 JDJ barrels.

I still have a few 140 gr 6.5mm Sierra and 225 gr Sierra 35 cal bullets that I moly coated but have not loaded.

I got tired of the mess on my fingers when loading the moly coated bullets. I did not see all that much of a difference to make it worth my time to moly coat bullets myself.

I still shoot quite a few moly coated bullets like the Combined Tech bullets which are some of my favorites. I also order .224 45gr moly coated bullets for my .22 Cheetah Mk1 from Midway.

I got tired of the mess and my wife hated the racket of the monster tumbler running all the time (it is under the breakfast nook in the kitchen).

I still like to shoot coated bullets although I do not mind burning barrels as then it gives me an excuse to rebarrel a rifle, one of my favorite projects.

coating bullets with Boron Nitride? P1010010
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:32 pm

that thing is a beast!

Troll
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Hard to tell from the pic but it is nearly 6' long. Each drum will hold 50 lbs of brass.

My Grandfather never under-engineered anything.

I used one drum for moly coating. The other 3 I used for tumbling brass.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:02 pm

that is sweet what is roughly the rpm on that thing??

nothing ever wrong with overbuilding just about any tool or equipment... Says a lot that you are the third generation to use it....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:22 pm

My Grandfather made it with several different sized wheels so that I can change the speed by changing either the pulley on the drive bar or the motor.

I've got it set for about 45 RPM right now which is the general purpose speed.

So far I had to have the motor rewound once after my father passed it to me. Otherwise it is still on the original bearings and motor. It has survived several military moves from one end of the nation to the other.

When I used to moly coat a lot of bullets, I could throw three of the 250 round bulk packs in each drum and run them over night. Would be ready in the morning to load.

Just got tired of the mess with the moly. Now I just tumble when I need to clean some brass. My wife got tired of it constantly running in the kitchen - she hates the noise it makes.

When my derimming dies get here - I will start forming and tumbling spent .22 LR hulls. Have not figured how many spent .22 LR hulls I can get in each drum - but I bet it is going to be a lot.

When I used the last of my moly up I never bothered to order more. Not sure I will bother to moly coat my own bullets any more.

I still shoot a few moly coated bullets. Trying to keep the .22 Cheetah Mk1 from burning up a barrel too quickly. So far it is still at least minute of prarie rat and that is good enough for me.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:39 pm

I think you need to make a new thread just about your tumbler with more pics.... it is so cool...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down