Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lead in Glocks?

+12
dartfreak75
algunjunkie
victor8881
BigAgitator
CMAsailor
badjeep02
DanRickard
wiederladertv
hawcer
Daywalker
billarrington
fusil56300
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lead in Glocks? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lead in Glocks?

Post by Daywalker Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:47 am

Shocked Sad
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wiederladertv Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:12 pm

Wow, that's a long time. Could not wait so long for a new gun....
wiederladertv
wiederladertv

http://www.wiederlader.tv

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:12 am

That's a long time to wait. study

BigAgitator
BigAgitator

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigAgitator?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by wiederladertv Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:02 am

I had to wait 4 weeks for my next Glock (17 this time) and every day longer is hard. Feels like a kid under X-Mas tree the night before Santa arrives. But this week I should get my new baby. santa
wiederladertv
wiederladertv

http://www.wiederlader.tv

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:57 am

i suppose appetite is the best spice :barri:

i've been waiting over 11 months for my ak-47 ak2
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:13 pm

glocks have polygonal rifle casing them to lead extreamly bad which can lead to a malfuction (explosion) iv read some people who have shot them an no leading accure others say just a few shots have lead to extreme leading to me its just not worth the risk
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:59 pm

I am a big fan of the old 1911s which when I entered the Army we still carried until we were forced to go to the Beretta. I was an Infantry Scout with the 3rd ID and we went to the Beretta kicking & screaming.

A lot of the old NCOs carried the Beretta when the Old Man was about but as soon as the brass left, the .45s came back out. We used the .45 until they were all confiscated and ran through a chipper. I could have cried watching a division's worth of .45s get reduced to scrap.

I love the Glock too and as I get older I cannot stand the weight of the old .45 every day. I carry a trimmed and heavily mod Glock 19. I love my series 80 Colt .45 but it is a safe queen these days.

I got my spare and aftermarket goodies from Wolf.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

As others have said best stick to at least 3/4 or half jackets with the stock barrel or get an aftermarket barrel if you are stuck on lead.

Our indoor ranges have got California fever and have banned all exposed lead from the range. So I had to change my loading to acommodate otherwise my yearly membership is a waste.

I am building a Glock 17L now with a trimmed and ported slide and barrel. I will shoot FMJs or other jacketed so I am not worried about leading.

I am still trying to hit that damn 300 yard gong with a 9mm just because I want to. I had a .30 Carbine AMT that I could hit the 300 yard gong with boring regularity.
Steve
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:23 pm

That kind of long range handgun stuff is great! Such a shame about the 1911s getting scrapped. I wonder why they can't re issue the serials and sell them off at an auction or something... they'd sell like hotcakes. I guess it's much simpler to just waste them.
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:49 pm

We wondered the same thing and you can believe there were several of us trying to figure how to stuff one in our ruck and "forget" about it.

We were doing joint training with the SeaBee Squids down in Sicily and Anewetok Island near the Philippines. The SeaBees were tossing their .45s in the ocean after welding the slide to the frame and torching it in half.

What really made us cringe was they were dumping pallets of sealed WW2 .45s in the spam can with ammo and 2 clips from the Squid base in the Philippines (can't remember the name at the moment).

I know collectors that would offer their first born child and a nut to own one of those sealed spam cans.

Our government is so stupid - they could have made some serious money from collectors selling those sealed spam cans.

Same when the goverment shredded hundreds of returned rare WW2 loaned M1 Carbines under Slick Willy. The gov could have made thousands of dollars had those been turned over to the CMP.

Only a few of those Bavarian, Austrian and Greek stamped M1s were saved by some couragous senators from both sides of the isle. They sold like a Nordic blond virgin in a Saudi harem auction.

Since the infection of California fever in our ranges both indoor and outdoor, we cant shoot as much lead as we used to. Several of our ranges are under fire from "concerned" citizens who fear lead poisoning (maybe some with reasonable concern!).

It took some serious screaming from the members because they were even going to ban .22 LR that was not coated. I have a .22 LR conversion for my Glock 19 and it makes shooting a little more afordable, but I cant hit that damn 300 yard gong yet, although I hit it all the time with my 10-22.

The problem with my Glock 19 other than cannot shoot lead is its short sight radius which makes long range work a little more challenging but I figure if I keep at it I will get it figured out some day.

I cannot wait until I get the Glock 17L up and running. I had to let one go due to financial trouble and I regretted it immediately. I ordered 2 barrels for it one ported one not ported. You are supposed to lose a few FPS with porting, but I want to see how much.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:20 am

Yeah, some of that military waste makes me sick.... it's such a waste of very very well made stuff.

having a .22lr conversion for that glock sounds awesome. I wonder if they make one for their 21 and 30. It'd be great if they did. I'll have to look into it.
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:44 am

I have a buddy that is in the navy.... navel corpsman serving with a marine special ops team in Afghanistan, his 8th tour, he was here on liberty the week before thanksgiving and said this will be his last... he said they are using sig .45 acp's and the FN 5.7 for close up work on handguns... but then again the military is rethinking the 9mm from what I understand.... but this is all scuttlebutt anyway and you know what that is like...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:51 am

All the Spec Ops folks have gone back to the .45. We Rangers carried the Kimber Desert Warriors, and the SEALs were using the MK23 .45 SOCOM pistol.

The Air Farce PJs were carrying SIGs, cant remember the model and the Marines were all carying Kimbers as well.

I believe the .45 Colt is the finest CQB weapon ever designed and the king of feedway stoppages!!

I never had a Mujhadeen get up after taking either a .45 or a 12ga slug from my Mossturd 500 which were my preferred weapons when in the great litter box.

I never made it to Afghanistan but did 4 tours (6 total, 2 for the 1st Gulf War) in Iraq before my luck ran out.

I never saw any of the US forces carry the FN 5.7 but the pistol and carbine is the hot crap on a stick!!!

Some of the civilian contractors were using the P90 and the FN 5.7 but no one else when I was last there in 2006.

If I get a chance I would love both but have to pace myself or I will end up with some foriegn object inserted in my rectum if my wife sees the credit card bill for another toy.

I do not mind not shooting lead in my Glocks but it is irritating as I have a whole shelf full of loaded ammo with lead boolits. Maybe some day I will get to the east side where they are not so California-fied and I can shoot some.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:01 am

wow we drink lead in our coffee in Oklahoma.... hahahaha drives the TSA guys crazy...

I was reading about fn5.7 and it's ballistics are inferior to the 32acp.... go figure the brand new end all beat all cartridge and it is skunked by a 120 yr old cartridge...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:42 am

isnt it funny how physics will kick you in the a@! every time? The DOD way back when opted for the 45 because it had the knock down power. not a sexy fast round but one that would physically put a man down. Probably because during the campaign in the Philippines the service 38 proved lethal but lacked the knockdown and several soldiers were killed by Filipino warriors who were already dead by 38 they just didn't know it yet.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:07 am

That's the thing about the smaller calibers; many find them adequate but my mentality is "why risk it?"

I'll take the biggest caliber I can get when it comes to self defense. The .50 GI is interesting. Too bad ammo is not as cheap and available as .45 ACP

BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:29 pm

The drug-hyped Moros in the Philippines were a testament to the will of that tribe not to be absorbed into the American collective.

The old service .38 was a great (and still is) caliber, but it lacked the mass to knock those drug-fueled Moros off their feet which was important to keep our troops out of the range of those wickedly sharp Kampilan and Kriss knives.

Back before the police departments in major city adopted a spray-and-pray policy of shooting, almost every flatfoot carried an accurized .38 caliber long barreled S&W or Colt pistol. Accurate, well-placed shots with large, slow moving lead boolits were taught in the acadamies.

Many of those old Police-issue .38s that have been carried for many years but maybe not shot so much, and which were lovingly tuned and kept by Police armorers are quite collectable.

The old Police load, a 158gr lead wad-cutter whose ballistics would make people yawn today is known as a decent man stopper even today.

I still prefer a larger, heavier bullet being of the Elmer Kieth school of thought (hey I'm from Idaho!). My old back up was a S&W 21 .44 Special loaded with 240gr Hydro Shocks.

That was back in the better days when I carried a Novak-tuned full-sized 1911A1 and my S&W 21 on my left leg in an ankle holster.

Today I make due with a tricked out and trimmed Glock 19 packing 124gr 9mm +P "Black Talon" clones. I still prefer the larger heavier bullet.

I have not shot lead in Glocks in many years, and now that my only 9mm is a pair of Glocks, and the California-fever of our ranges, I am not likely to again any time soon.

My old Ruger P90 did not mind lead but alas that pistol got sacrificed on the alter of financial insolvency.

Ammo for the .50 GI is expensive which is a good reason to hand load. I have not shot one of the pistols but would love to some day. I have shot a buddy's Desert Eagle .50 AE and that was a real beast!!!

KTO used to offer a 60% .50 GI frame for those mechanically-inclined to complete the weapon themselves. KTO does make some nice aftermarket .45 stuff too.

http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/products.php
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:14 pm

the thing that seems to be nice about the 50gi is that it's available in a glock. So though it's less powerful than the 50AE, it's a much slimmer gun than the deagle.

That site is intriguing. I'll take a look at that!
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:13 pm

The .50 AE DE is a real beast of gun to carry. I would have to carry one in a cross the chest bandolier like how I carry my T/C Encore & Contender pistols.

From a supported bench or prone the .50 AE was a blast to shoot but I would not want to lug that beast around in the woods chasing Bambi. To me that pistol would be a sit and wait pistol in a tree stand or ground blind.

One nice thing unlike the Glocks, the older Desert Eagles did not have an issue with lead.

I had an old 1st Gen .44 Desert Eagle with the old dual recoil springs and .45-like linkage made by IMI. Regrettably I chose the used DE over a NIB Colt Delta Elite 10mm, something I regret to this day.

I got tired of having my hands coated in gun oil and trying to ram the frame and slide parts together to get that toggle in place to have the whole shebang (barrel, slide, springs, etc) go shooting out of my slick hands accross the room usually into the living room.

I did get good at putting it verticle muzzle down on the kitchen table and using my left hand hold the frame and slide down while getting the toggle shoved back in place.

One thing I like about the .45 GAP is a much smaller gun. IF I did not already own a tricked Glock 19 I would seriously consider a .45 GAP pistol. You can also load .45 GAP with ACP dies.

With California-fever spreading I have noticed that the cost for totally plated boolits has dropped and several more makers are getting into the act like Berry's.

I even saw total plated double-end wadcutters which are one of my favorite loads in plain lead for target shooting.

I do not load for any of my semi auto pistols anymore and just buy the ammo from places like AmmoMan when I need some. I have focused my loading on my rifles, shotguns and single shots.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:39 pm

I am shooting the berry's and Rainer plated bullets in my Glock. Soo far they have been great. Rainer was a good company to deal with and they even sent me over 200 of there bullets in different profiles and weights to test out.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:28 am

While I was never able to shoot them in the factory stock Glock, I really like the heavier swaged lead truncated cone for distance shooting.

In 9mm I have a 124gr gas checked TC mold that is great for shooting distance as it bucks the wind and maintains a high BC out a bit farther than most people try to shoot pistols.

While Glocks are not chambered in really good silhoette calibers, I like to shoot a .357 Rem Max with 180gr full plated Speer Hot Core or Deep Curl bullets.

I have a .357 mold that drops a 210gr gas checked truncated cone bullet with a long ogive. Great silhoette bullet, and good for knocking over the rams too.

My Ruger P90 when I had it, used to shoot the 124s no problem but I had to single load them as they were too long for the magazine.

One of these days I might try to use a Wolf barrel to shoot some of these 124s through a Glock but I bet I will have to single load them as well.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:00 am

Reload3006 wrote:isnt it funny how physics will kick you in the a@! every time? The DOD way back when opted for the 45 because it had the knock down power. not a sexy fast round but one that would physically put a man down. Probably because during the campaign in the Philippines the service 38 proved lethal but lacked the knockdown and several soldiers were killed by Filipino warriors who were already dead by 38 they just didn't know it yet.

You forgot to add the 38 would not have a lethal penetration in the armor plates that the natives wore that were woven from vines....

At least that was the story I was told..... hehehe great how these stories grow and eveyone there had a different perception...

Kind of the same story with the 30 carbine.... wonderful round and little gun just lacked the man stopping, stay down power of the 30-06....

The only problem I see with the 50Gi is that a 45 caliber is the largest caliber that can be carried legally in Oklahoma for self defense.... So I will stick with my 454casull for big ole knock down....

other than that the 45colt and 45 acp fill the tickets.....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:19 am

Yes but the 30 carbine was easy to shoot and you could crank a lot of rounds off real quick. Something that somewhat hindered by the small 20 round clips and no-full auto until Korea.

The better M1s are the post Korean conflict with the longer 30, 40 and 50 round magazines and select fire ability.

Yes one 115gr FMJ .30 carbine round is not the stopper or the killer a single .30-06 is but you put 10 or 15 in someone and it is a whole 'nother story.

One thing I like about the lead in the Glocks and others is the ability for those soft boolits to expand. When I shoot that 300 yard gong I like to see the bullet splatter, not skip off into the dirt.

When I shoot a critter with those soft lead bullets from a Glock or other pistol, that soft lead will often flatten. Sometimes even my favorite Hydro Shocks or Black Talons will not always expand at all distances and velocity.

Hornady did some interesting testing when they were developing their Critical Defense ammo, and it was amazing how many "premium" rounds failed to expand when shot through heavy clothing.

I also take pride in making accurate ammo that I shoot myself, and at present I do not mind buying bullets from a major manufacturer. I take pride in pouring and making good bullets and when I take a critter with ammo that I have made, it makes me happy.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2