Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deer Processing Guide

+2
eagle60
fletch_medic
6 posters

Go down

Deer Processing Guide Empty Deer Processing Guide

Post by fletch_medic Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:09 pm

I thought I would post this here for a couple reasons, one, if you're like me you like to do your own processing, but might not know exactly how to do it(therefore I end up with a LOT of ground deer). And two, it might help this guy out some. I bought the DVD, he does give teacher, police, and military discounts. I thought it would be great to have the disc so anytime I need it.(after a successful hunt) I can pop it in and go.

Some people have done interviews with him. He is just an old butcher who's trade is going away, and the only thing he really ever wanted was an apprentice. I guess he found that through youtube. This is his first video so it isn't real good quality, but his others are awesome. He does cows, pigs, chickens. He also tries to use only the tools that the normal man would have in his house.

A youtube search for williescountrymeats will find him and all of his videos. There you will also find a link to a website he has if you want to buy the dvd. I know you could just watch it on the computer for free, but I've learned so much from his videos that I felt generous.

There are 4 parts, I will only post the 1st one. I can't wait to try this. Make things look professional.

fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Deer Processing Guide Empty Re: Deer Processing Guide

Post by eagle60 Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks for sharing the video Fletch! I ususally just chunk them up enough to get them in the skillet but this has got some very good useful information in it. This guy has been definately been cutting meat for a while - you can tell by the way he handles that knife. I used to work as an apprentice at a meat market when I was a young lad and had forgotten most of what they tried to teach me. Very Happy
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Fletch, I'll start making some videos of butchering wild game as I get them and post them for ya. Turkey season is coming up so when I get my gobbler I'll start with that and then this fall during deer season I'll pick up with deer processing. It's not hard if you have a bit of instruction and have done it a couple of times, but I know that for somebody who has never done it that it may seem like trying to read braile.
I guess I'm lucky to have been doing it my whole life and I had real good teachers to get me started the right way. I gotta thank my dad and my uncles for that part.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:01 pm

I've "done it" a few times. I grew up on a farm and hunted most my life. I just did it the only way I knew how, which was mostly ground meat and a few things I called steaks here and there.
I guess if we had raised a few more cattle and a lot less soy beans. (I hate soy beans) Then maybe I would have gotten more practice/teaching.

I would assume that turkey would be done just like a chicken?? I can do chicken.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Nope, I skin my turkeys then debreast them, cut it into strips and fry it. Then I save the wings, thighs, and legs for my mom to make home made turkey pot pie out of. It's the most awesome pot pie you would ever eat. Besides it's so much easier to just skin them rather than plucking, and I don't think I've ever plucked one to be honest? I was taught how to do it this way when I was only about 13yrs. old and have always done it that way.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:22 pm

yep like Mo said we skin our turkeys ,chickens, much easyer than plucking. A few farmers around here i have helped skin thier hogs as well. thanks for shareing the video fletch Smile
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:13 pm

But the skin is where all the vitamins are and the Godly goodness. Fried chicken without the skin is a sin.
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 pm

I have this attachment for my drill that takes the feathers off. You have to be carefull though, or it will take the skin and some meat with it. Possibly even some of your skin if you mess up real bad.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:51 pm

never seen a drill feather plucker Surprised Yes and you are right richbirdhunter the skin a chicken is yummie I love it . I just hate plucking a bird.
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Hughie wrote:never seen a drill feather plucker Surprised Yes and you are right richbirdhunter the skin a chicken is yummie I love it . I just hate plucking a bird.

Bird pluckin' is womens work! That's right I said it, mother pluckers lol!
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:24 pm

It's right about now that maybe I should have thought, "should I read the posts on the forum with my wife sitting right next to me?"

Looks like I'll be plucking my own chickens for a while.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:48 pm

fletch_medic wrote:It's right about now that maybe I should have thought, "should I read the posts on the forum with my wife sitting right next to me?"

Your looking very lovely today Mrs. Fletch, of course I would never think of you as a mother plucker
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:35 pm

fletch_medic wrote:It's right about now that maybe I should have thought, "should I read the posts on the forum with my wife sitting right next to me?"

Never mind the chicken Fletch, your goose has been cooked Shocked LOLOL
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Men are Hunters and women are Gatherers, which also includes the help in skinning and cleaning the wild game, so no offense but Mama Fletch still needs to do her part and help out the Mighty Fletch Hunter! Cool

If you can at least get her to help cook it, then I'd say that's a good start. Very Happy
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:27 pm

if Amy can handle dealing with me, the rest of the crazy bastards on the forum like Rich should be no problem for her. Razz
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 pm

XbonesX wrote:

if Amy can handle dealing with me, the rest of the crazy bastards on the forum like Rich should be no problem for her. Razz

+1 on the crazy bastards..........not calling anybody out........but you all know who you are. Shocked Suspect What a Face
lol!
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down