Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wish I had a camera yesterday at the range.

+2
Reload3006
wallenba
6 posters

Go down

Wish I had a camera yesterday at the range. Empty Wish I had a camera yesterday at the range.

Post by wallenba Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:00 pm

I took my trusty 35 year old Colt Government to the range yesterday. I bought it new and has uncounted rounds through it. I was testing it with an E&L brass catcher I picked up recently. I got off two rounds (bullseyes of course Laughing ). The third round ...click. Failed to chamber all the way, and would not go in with a nudge. The catcher caught both spent cases, so I decided to just eject the offender in to it, and deal with it later. I did not get a good grip on the slide while doing so and it slipped back flipping the live round completely over and chambering it backwards into the barrel! Shocked No tools, only two shots off and no refunds on the time I paid for. Rolling Eyes
Anybody else ever have a bad day at the range?
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Wish I had a camera yesterday at the range. Empty Re: Wish I had a camera yesterday at the range.

Post by Reload3006 Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:05 pm

LOL if you haven't had a bad day at the range you have never been. Sorry dude hope next time is better. Smile
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Wish I had a camera yesterday at the range. Empty Re: Wish I had a camera yesterday at the range.

Post by Daywalker Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:10 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Today I myself had, well a decent day. Out of 100 rounds in the ar, 6 misfired with nice deep primer strikes but no detonation. I started with a brass catcher but quickly ripped it off when on the 3rd round, a live round tried to chamber and the spent round did not fully eject. Ripped that catcher off and had no other jams like that.

A bad day at the range is better than a day at work I rekond...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:18 pm

could you have not dissasemble the gun and pulled it out of the barrel?
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 pm

I think I would have found a pencil or something to push the cartridge out of the barrel with.

Sorry about your ruined day at the range Sad
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:12 am

dartfreak75 wrote:could you have not dissasemble the gun and pulled it out of the barrel?
On the 1911 you need this tool http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=212051
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 am

wallenba wrote:
dartfreak75 wrote:could you have not dissasemble the gun and pulled it out of the barrel?
On the 1911 you need this tool http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=212051

Either that tool or a full length guide rod Wink
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:25 am

hawcer wrote:I think I would have found a pencil or something to push the cartridge out of the barrel with.

Sorry about your ruined day at the range Sad

It was wedged in pretty tight, and I'm too chicken to pound on the primer end of a live round. I ended up wiggling it out by the nose at home with pliers.
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:56 pm

It was wedged in pretty tight, and I'm too chicken to pound on the primer end of a live round. I ended up wiggling it out by the nose at home with pliers.

I'm with you on this one wallenba. Something about beating on the business end of a jacked up round just doesn't seem to perpetuate a healthy lifestyle affraid
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:12 pm

i dont use them tools i just use my thumb to push down the guide rod plug
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:41 pm

dartfreak75 wrote:i dont use them tools i just use my thumb to push down the guide rod plug
I have a 1911 that I can do that with, not with this one though. It was accurized back in about 1980 and a hand fitted barrel bushing was installed. The bushing is quite tight when locked up to limit barrel end play. Overall it tends to be a finicky gun. I check each reloaded round with a Wilson Max gage to keep things running smooth. It also has an extended sping guide and wire guides installed between the frame and slide to take out wobble. All this is good for accuracy and reliable with tuned ammo. Off the shelf ammo or commercial reloads is asking for trouble.
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:29 pm

oh thats a bummer you should put one of those barrel wrenches in your glove box so its always with you lol sounds like a nice 1911 got any pics im a huge 1911 fan iv got a Ria Two tone tac im wanting to start a build on a colt gi clone in 400 cor bon well see how that goes lol!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Well...here goes with the pics. I'm not real good at this stuff. Sheeez reel purdy. I could not get the flash to work, so some details don't come through.
Wish I had a camera yesterday at the range. 1911

Wish I had a camera yesterday at the range. 1911together
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:05 pm

That is one sweet looking weapon!!!!
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 pm

Oooooohh - I like that !
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down