Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RCBS 45 acp dies

+2
Daywalker
GBM30274
6 posters

Go down

RCBS 45 acp dies Empty RCBS 45 acp dies

Post by GBM30274 Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:54 am

Guy's; I need a little help please. I have a set of RCBS dies that have a bullet seating and taper crimp die in one. I have set it up the T/C like the instruction says,but I fell that the taper crimp is still not enough. Can you put too much of crimp on a 45 acp? any input is welcome .
Thanks......
Glenn
GBM30274
GBM30274

http://brownglenn16@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

RCBS 45 acp dies Empty Re: RCBS 45 acp dies

Post by Daywalker Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:10 pm

You can put too much crimp, however, it will be minimal. In other words, I do not believe that it is going to hurt. Mainly just over working your brass.

If you can take the barrel out of your 45 acp, say like a 1911, you can adjust your crimp by dropping the round into the chamber of the barrel. Once you get the right amount of crimp, the round will freely drop in and drop out.

One other thing of advice, you may be ok, for me, I found it worked better to seat all of my bullets, then reset the die, backing the seating punch all the ay back just adjusting the die to crimp. I then go and crimp all of them.

I tried the crimping while seating route and found alot of mine were inconcistant of one another..
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBM30274 Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Me under stand now .because that is the same problem that I'm haveing not beeing conistant. Thanks . Tommy
GBM30274
GBM30274

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:53 pm

DW's advice hit the nail right on the head. Other than buying a separate crimp die that is the best way to do it.

Also, the barrel out test he described will also let you know if the OAL of your reloads agrees with the chamber dimensions. I had to rethink my cast reloads for my 45acp because the recommended seating depth would not chamber completely in one of my pistols but was fine in the others.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:47 pm

I always do the seating and crimping seperate. Also once you crimp and test the fit in your pulled barrel the bullet should fall right out without any hesitation. If it does have a hesitation the case body has not properly sized or the case could be over crimped.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:43 pm

I prefer to do the seating and crimping in 2 different stations/dies as well. however, on my progressive press I do seat/crimp with the same die. I use the Hornady New Dimension Dies.

I find that if i measure the mouth of the case after crimping reads about .469" it will chamber check great and doesnt appear to be too much crimp.

This is how I do it:
Run the ram to the top with a none charged case, screw the die down till you feel it the crimp start to apply, give it about an 1/8-1/4" turn back out. now place a bullet and seat it and adjust the seating steam till it seats the bullet about .003-.005" from your desired OAL. Then I screw the whole die body back down to apply the crimp. Test a couple cases and make sure the OAL and crimp is correct. Generally its right on, but might have to make a few adjustments.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by GBM30274 Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:20 pm

XbonesX wrote:I prefer to do the seating and crimping in 2 different stations/dies as well. however, on my progressive press I do seat/crimp with the same die. I use the Hornady New Dimension Dies.

I find that if i measure the mouth of the case after crimping reads about .469" it will chamber check great and doesnt appear to be too much crimp.

This is how I do it:
Run the ram to the top with a none charged case, screw the die down till you feel it the crimp start to apply, give it about an 1/8-1/4" turn back out. now place a bullet and seat it and adjust the seating steam till it seats the bullet about .003-.005" from your desired OAL. Then I screw the whole die body back down to apply the crimp. Test a couple cases and make sure the OAL and crimp is correct. Generally its right on, but might have to make a few adjustments.

Yea; I'm around .470 @ 1.200 OAL on a 200gr swc with 6.0gr of unique or 4.5 gr of Bullseye. But some times I have some feeding problem that just get me scratch . Thanks X
GBM30274
GBM30274

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:44 pm

try screwing the die body down a bit more see if you can get that .469". I too was having several feeding issues but once I hit that mark it has gone away.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by GBM30274 Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 am

X; I will give that a try. Every thing I'm shooting is range brass ,so that may have a little to do with it also. study
GBM30274
GBM30274

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:14 pm

something i noticed with my 45's, is if you dont do so much of a flare before seating the bullet, the better. sometimes if you flare the end too much, you will never get a good crimp.

if you flare it just right, i mean very little, to allow the bullet to seat ok, you may not need a crimp at all.

i was able to get my flaring down to the point where i no longer needed to crimp, and feeding was much better afterwards.

Smile
dan
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by GBM30274 Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Yea; I try not to flare to much but thats not to say that some got a little more then others. However I think I have got it under control now.
GBM30274
GBM30274

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:48 pm

GBM30274 wrote:Yea; I try not to flare to much but thats not to say that some got a little more then others. However I think I have got it under control now.

flare differences happen when your case lengths are diff.. so, if you run your cases through a case trim first to ensure they are all the same, then the flare will all be the same.

when i do cast loads, i dont flare at all. but for jacketed bullets, i'll do a very slight flare.. but i always run my cases trough the trimmer after i size them.. even if the case trimmer doesn't take anything off, i ensure they are all the same length that way.

Smile
dan
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down